Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger Thread >

Serger Thread

Serger Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 06:09 AM

Default Serger Thread

I have a serger machine and the thread is always breaking! I used the serger thread from JoAnns! Does one always have to use serger thread or can I use regular thread for sewing machines....!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

sergers need very fine thread... i would not use regular thread. i've used joann's and not had a problem. is it possible that your tensions are too tight? or that there is a burr on the needle or needle plate hole?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:23 AM

Try maxi lock instead of the Joann's brand.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:59 AM

First I agree with intoquilting, Maxi Lock thread. I have found Joann's to have thick and thin spots within the thread. Also you are not saying what thread is breaking. I have the HuskyLock 936 serger and I can use just about any thread pleasing to me. If your needle thread is breaking are you using the correct needle and size? My Husky uses Schmetz needles size 14. If I use a smaller needle I will get breakage. If the looper thread is breaking, I would suggest that they are not threaded properly.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:00 AM

I would think it might be the way its threaded or it could have some lint in it in the thread path. I have a Brother Ovation and I can use any kind of thread, regular thread, aurifil, quilting, wooly nylon, metalic, very heavy thread, etc and I've yet to have a problem. Most of my "serger" thread comes from Hancocks or Tidewater sew n vac, but I have a variety to use. If you have a manual and go thru it again and double check your threading and see if it allows you to open the part where the thread path is to see if something is clogging it. I love my serger. Right now, I'm making a log cabin with fleece and its going so well. When its done, I'll use the wave stitch to finish around the outer edges. Do you have anywhere close to you that can help, like a sew n vac or dealer.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:07 AM

i get my serger thread from superior very good quality
Old 02-03-2015, 06:38 AM

If I want to match fabric, rather than buy serger thread, I buy a spool of sewing thread and wind it on bobbins.
The loopers use the most. Serger doesn't care which bobbins as long as they fit on the thread holders or the "Bob n Serge". I've got a lot of old metal bobbins that I picked up for a penny each.