Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sergers........Tell me about them >

Sergers........Tell me about them

Sergers........Tell me about them

Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 AM

This is the way I threaded mine for years. Now I can do it this way. Take all 4 spools off, put 4 new spools on, push bottom loopers through a hole about 1 inch, push a lever. Thread top thread exactly like my regular sewing machine. Do that twice. All four needles are threaded and tension is adjusted. Didn't matter that I couldn't find my glasses and couldn't see the needle holes. Didn't have to tie any threads. Took about 5 minutes if my hands shook more than usual.
Easier to use than my computer! Really made in heaven for older women - but don't tell the younger women that.

Last edited by TanyaL; 03-18-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:19 AM

I picked up serger at a consignment store...hoping to start figuring out what it does. The threading just to look at is overwelming...there is not a lot of info (videos) on the web on what folks use them for. I bet the dealers would sell many more if folks understood what they can do.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM View Post
Dear Clsurz, I saw your post about buying the Babylock Evolution. I just attended a 3 day Serger Workshop held at a local Babylock dealer here in CA. We used the Evolution.....a dream machine. I own an older Evolve. I love my Evolve, and the Evolution is a newer and improved version. The evolution has the Wave stitch (nice for decorative edges), improved safety features, improved lighting, and you can thread both loopers at the same time. It also has an improved jet air threading....a motorized whoosh! Generally speaking the dealer will have very good package prices at these events. Our dealer offered the Evolution 8 thread macine, the workbook, the inspiration guide, 16 foot pkg, a huge decorative thread assortment in a nice case (retail value $450.), additional Gold Standard warranty of 3more years, and $1000.00 Trade-in allowance .....all for $3092.00. If you just wanted the machine, extra warranty, and 6 feet, the price was $1999.00 I would recommend the books though, as they really contain great instructions. My advice to you is to watch for a sewing/serging class or multi-day event sponsored by a Babylock dealer in your area. These events are held for the express purpose of educating the public about their products in the hopes of getting new customers. The number one reason people don't use their sergers is the difficulty they have threading them and getting the tensions right......Babylock has solved these problems....easy peasy threading and auto tension. They are worth every penny!!! Good luck!
I posted earlier I had an Imagine but meant to say Enlighten. My neighbor has a Babylock also but only paid around $900 and is still an awesome serger. It also has the jet threading.

And, I totally agree with you....love my Babylock. I had a basic Janome as my first serger and it was so hard to thread, I only had white thread for it. When the thread broke, I would cringe with the thought of having to rethread it. After a year of hardly using it for this one reason, I broke down and traded it for the Babylock Enlighten (2nd from the top of the line Evolution). It was $1800 but worth every single penny. But I use this a lot for items I sell, to me it's a good investment.

I can also use 2 threads to sew.

The manual is excellent and easy to use. I only had basic lessons when I first bought it. To me, that means a lot if I can easily refer to the manual for answers.

I also have a Babylock Esante sewing / embroidery machine and love it!! In my opinion, Babylock has done their homework and produce great products.

Last edited by vickig626; 03-18-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
I saw an episode of Fons and Porter where the guest made a strip quilt with ruffles entirely on the serger. It was so cute - made me want to go out and buy one of the new ones.

I made one of those quilts. After it was laundered the ruffles didn't look like ruffles, just wadded up fabric. It was disappointing.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:08 AM

I have a middle of the road 4 thread Viking serger. I have used it for garments and home dec. But recently, I mostly use it to piece my quilt back, it trims off the selvage as it goes, "cutting" out an extra step. And, when I take a quilt off the frame, I run it through the serger to clean up the edges of the quilt, I find this makes applying the binding much easier. I would love to have one of the self threading ones, but given how little I use it now, it doesn't seem to make sense.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 PM

I have a Brother 1034D serger. I bought it from recommendation from my sewing teacher when I started to sew. I checked it out online and it gets 5 star ratings. It was cheap at CostCo.com. Hubby bought it as a surprise when I mentioned it would work great for knits. It not self-threading, and threading it is hard -- especially when I have to use reading glasses to see. Teacher recommended getting those disposable dental floss thingees to assist, and they do help.

A LQS I have taken other classes as is doing a serged quilt now. I asked what the advantage is (thinking it would use more thread and be harder) and she said it easier to square and press. I didn't take the class.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:58 PM

I bought one about 12 years ago because everyone said I should but then they all decided after the purchase to not use them so I have never taken it out of the box. Looking forwar to answers here that might give me some courage to open that box.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:55 PM

I serge my bindings on all my quilts with a serger.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought an $800 serger and had to keep taking it back to the dealer to have them rethread it. I could never get the threads right. Never made a thing with it. It sits under my cutting table. Been there for 2-3 years. What a waste of money for me. Some people can do magic with them. If I could keep it threaded, maybe I would like it. The dealer became impatient with me because I brought it in so many times. Too hard for me. I like my sewing machine.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Had one a while ago but realized that it was an impulse buy. Gave it away.

FREE Quilting Newsletter