Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sew Days for Memorial Day Weekend 2010 >

Sew Days for Memorial Day Weekend 2010

Sew Days for Memorial Day Weekend 2010

Old 05-30-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dagny
Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Decided to wash & iron my $3.00 stash from Fri. It feels like I've been on my feet all day! No sewing done today, still have more to iron. :(
I had a cumbersome amount of fabric to press also, and I was thinking about those little devices that used to be around in the 50's or so that were attached to the top of a pop bottle and used to sprinkle clothes before they were ironed. Mom used to sprinkle everything and place it in the refrigerator overnight and then iron it the next day.

I found my late mom's sprinkler bottle, only hers is plastic, with a turquoise shaker top. Talk about 60's! Brings back many memories, of using an old agitator washer with a wringer, and hanging the clothes up to dry. Knowing how to use that washer proved a blessing and a curse.....when I worked kitchen staff in summer camp I was the only "kid" who even knew what it was. So I got the job of getting up extra early to do the kitchen laundry and get it hung before we fixed breakfast. Doing laundry outdoors next to a lake is still a unique memory. And I can still flip a mean pancake!

I took the lid off of a water bottle and used the smallest drill bit I could find to drill a number of tiny holes in the lid and then used it to sprinkle my fabric. Boy did that make the job easier.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:41 PM

It is 7:35 p.m. here in AZ. It must be 10:35 back East. So alot of you will be calling it a night soon. For those of you that are ~ have a good night sleep, and I will see you tomorrow. I will be here for a couple more hours.

Night Night

Carole
Old 05-30-2010, 06:41 PM

Opps! Hit the button twice! Sorry

Carole
Old 05-30-2010, 06:52 PM

Just found this thread...of course...as all of you are heading to bed. I too am sewing this weekend. Finished my QFK yesterday, washed fabric in prep to make quilt fo rmy BIL;s B day at the end of June, and worked on my Sig block exchange blocks (over half way there). Worked on the sig blocks again today and started quilting a table topper that has been a WIP for several weeks. Tomorrow, I need to iron the material for BIL's quilt and start getting it cut out.

I don't know about you folks, but I need a few more days to this Memorial Day weekend....lol
Old 05-30-2010, 06:57 PM

Well Nursie--- we will be here tomorrow -- so join us!!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by carolevidak
I think I'm going to sprinkle a coupld of DH's shirts and put them in the frig to see if he notices. :lol:
Do you mean after you iron them or see if he notices them in the refrigerator. He is liable to think you have lost your mind. LOL
Doesn't matter, he thinks I'm a gonner anyway.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 AM

Happy Memorial Day all!

Well I started the day out right....froggin' out the echo quilting I did last night...just didn't fit!

DH is in a cleaning frenzy, so I will need to divide my time today between that and quilting. Not complaining! He is so sweet to clean and there are just some things he doesn't know what to do with...so I will sort some and quilt, sort and quilt...gosh! I am making myself dizzy!!! LOL

Have a happy safe Memorial Day all! CYL!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dagny
Decided to wash & iron my $3.00 stash from Fri. It feels like I've been on my feet all day! No sewing done today, still have more to iron. :(
I had a cumbersome amount of fabric to press also, and

***I was thinking about those little devices that used to be around in the 50's or so that were attached to the top of a pop bottle and used to sprinkle clothes before they were ironed. Mom used to sprinkle everything and place it in the refrigerator overnight and then iron it the next day.*****
OH MY GOSH!!!! I was ironing fabric this afternoon and I WAS THINKING ABOUT THOSE SPRINKLERS too!!! My mom used to sprinkle the shirts and roll them up gently...then she'd start ironing. I guess it allows the water to moisten the clothes all over. Great memories - I could see her doing it if I close my eyes . . . -
:cry:
Old 05-31-2010, 01:49 PM

I 'had' to go to 'Joanns' yesterday for someone special and wouldn't you know it - there was a great fabric sale! I didn't want to waste any gas to I made the trip worthwhile and brought a number of yards home with me.

Last night I worked on my braids. I have a small amount to sew on and then that part of the quilt process will be done!

Today I washed, dried and ironed the fabric I bought yesterday. Still behind on my ironing - but not *further* behind. :)

Have a Great Evening - Go Sew Something! - Go Hawks!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:04 PM

Oh goodness! I remember my grandma using one of those pop bottle sprinkler things too. She would sprinkle everything and roll it up, put it into a plastic bag and go back after doing some other chores and everything was damp and ready to press, no need for a steam iron...don't remember if she even had one. Wow! What a blast from the past.

I have managed to wash and iron all the fabric for my BIL's quilt and have gotten the borders cut. I designed this on EQ6 and it even figured the yardage and the cutting directions. What an awesome program...now just got to wait for my copy of EQ7 to come...

Don't stuff yourself to full of all that great picnic food everyone! DH made us some luscious ham in the crock pot, not picnic for us today, had lunch with DS and oldest DD yesterday when they were down from NY.

Enjoy your evening!