Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sew me around quilt >

sew me around quilt

sew me around quilt

Old 05-16-2023, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
It says you need 54 inch, of width of fabric, for backing, so I am assuming it will be a child's or lap quilt that's about 42-44 wide by 54 long. It looks like this is the whole quilt, not a repeat of blocks, because the center square is 11.5 inches. It calls for 14 strips 2.5 inch if I remember...I just read it-lol
Always read the pattern well-lol
the strips are 4.5 inch

I told you I just read it, short term memory loss 😩
Old 05-16-2023, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I made Spin Me Around years ago. It's fast to sew. My guild had a workshop to make them with a JoAnn rep. that use to be available for guilds. Some made the strips wider to get a bigger quilt and one put four of the quil tops together to get a big quilt. The fabric choices takes the quilt from nice to wow.
I posted a video a few weeks ago of a few of them made by a quilt shop owner in Canada. They were bright and beautiful.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

OnebyOne, thanks for your info. I never thought about making the strips wider. I have some awesome Kaffe that I'm dying to use!
I hope you don't leave the board anytime soon! You're a wealth of information and I appreciate it.
Old 05-17-2023, 04:09 AM

Look up Suzy Quilts. She has a pattern, i think its called Adventureland, that is like that and she makes it in 3-4 sizes.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:50 AM

I did hear back from Lorraine, and she is happy to have the information on the block she was showing shared.

This is for a single block, not for a single block quilt. Fizzle is correct; if that is the style quilt you are looking for, check Suzy Quilts patterns. I do like hers for baby quilts (although I'll never do another with double gauze!). They are a fun, fast finish if you are not working with fabric that is shape shifting, lol.

Although this was originally going by "Spin me Around", it is now just listed as a string block. Probably due to copyright issues.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lorraine Mooney Block Sizes.pdf (103.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-18-2023, 03:55 PM

Scrap Quilt Enthusiasts is a great resource for quilting ideas. Yes, you have to sign up but it is quick and no fee involved. It is loaded with good ideas for using scraps. You can see hundreds of photos. No bugging you to purchase products and friendly folks, just like here.

PeaceandJoy, I am laughing at myself. I saved the two links you added above several years ago and have never used them. Shame on me. Now it is time to give it a try.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 05-18-2023 at 03:58 PM.