Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing after dinner >

Sewing after dinner

Sewing after dinner

Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
My sweet man had never had breakfast gravy until he moved to indiana. He's from Pa and his parent were born and raised there. He's never had dumplings either, or sugar cream pie. I tell you he lived a sheltered life. But on the flip side, I'd never had pigs in a blanket(yuk hate cabbage) or some ravioli dish with mash potato inside instead of meat, YUK. Now I'm gonna try the chicken and gravy. You can put gravy on cardboard and its good! Gravy is good on everything! I used to make chocolate gravy!MMMM!
I'm sitting here laughing my fool head off. I don't like white gravy but a brown gravy goes with anything. But how do you make a chocolate gravy??? That's got to be the bomb!!
BTW, here in south Louisiana, we make a brown gravy with roux OR with no flour at all. We just brown that meat slowly until we've got enough of the 'brown stuff' stuck to the pot and then we throw in our onions, bell pepper, or whatever else we want. We slowly add water or broth and let it "cook down" until we've got this awesome thick brown gravy. Yum.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:13 AM

the only chocolate gravy i know of is with chocolate steak and that is liver........... no thank you.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:24 AM

Saw this on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. The waffle is like a cone and holds the fried chicken inside. And, yep, syrup on everything. Haven't tried it so can't knock it.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 AM
KVz

Interesting that we are all focused on the food and not the sewing. Is it dinnertime there? :-D
Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I also live in Oregon and don't understand waffles and fried chicken. It sure isn't an Oregon thing! :)
Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I just started a diet and after I read all about southern gravy, I'm ready to make mashed potatoes and gravy or bisquits and gravy. :twisted:
Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 AM

I've never tried chicken and waffles, but I bet it's good, because I like to dip my chicken in honey and that would be good over a waffle.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
Originally Posted by Airwick156
Okay I'm probably strange....What is the connection between waffles and fried chicken? Is it because you only eat one meal a day and have to throw breakfast and dinner both into the same meal? I'm in Oregon and I don't think people eat fried chicken and waffles at the same meal...but then again maybe they do....hmmmmmmm
Just have them together, It doesn't seem like they go together but they do. Just had it for the first time recently and am in love with chicken and waffles
Many chicken and waffle restaurants have popped up in the LA area and some have been featured on the cooking channels. I don't get it but many swear by that combo.

a
Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM

The only thing I wanted when I was pregnant with child #1 was chicken and waffles served some collards with hot sauce.

I like mine with fried chicken and it has to be topped with honey. YUMMY.

I still make it about once a month and the boys think they are getting the best treat in the world. LOL
Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
My sweet man had never had breakfast gravy until he moved to indiana. He's from Pa and his parent were born and raised there. He's never had dumplings either, or sugar cream pie. I tell you he lived a sheltered life. But on the flip side, I'd never had pigs in a blanket(yuk hate cabbage) or some ravioli dish with mash potato inside instead of meat, YUK. Now I'm gonna try the chicken and gravy. You can put gravy on cardboard and its good! Gravy is good on everything! I used to make chocolate gravy!MMMM!
Wow - pigs in a blanket in the NE is a hot dog rolled up in a cresent roll and baked in the oven! And "ravioli" with mashed potato - that's pierogi: a Polish food. MUST be sauteed with onion in butter. mmmm

I'm STARVING right now!!! And for mashed potato, pasta, fried chicken and biscuits with gravy