Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing binding with invisible thread? >

Sewing binding with invisible thread?

Sewing binding with invisible thread?

Old 08-20-2015, 10:15 PM

I thought you could only use invisible thread on top. If your machine is bottom, side loader thread the bobbin thread through little hole. Don't know what it does but you have no problem sewing.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:09 AM

I sew my binding on the front first all the time - wrap it to the back, and I use a line of Elmers glue to hold it in place - then back to the front and stitch in the ditch. Actually, I click my needle over just a smidge and sew just to the right of the ditch onto the binding (just like the way it looks). Match the binding color both top and bobbin thread. It is never perfect on the back, but it looks fine to me and it's fast.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:00 AM

I use YLI invisible thread top and bottom. Never have a problem!!
Old 08-22-2015, 05:05 AM

Just a note of caution regarding using invisible thread on children's quilts. It tends to be "prickly" which my DGKs didn't like. If it comes unstitched a kid could get a finger tangled in it, and it doesn't break easily, so not a good idea. Also, if you are doing charity quilting, most charities dealing with sick kids don't want invisible thread, it melts at high heat in a dryer. When binding kids quilts, I sew the binding to the back, roll it to the front and use a fancy stitch or the blanket stitch to hold it down. It is much more stable for heavy use than hand stitching. And I just try to match my thread to the quilt. Kids don't really care about the color thread, they just love that you made them something.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:27 AM

I love deco stitching on binding.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:05 PM

If the invisible thread is fairly old, try breaking it. I had some that got brittle with age. The newer ones don't do that.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:25 PM

I have used invisible thread for binding quilts many, many times. I sew binding on as you did to back side of quilt. Fold binding to front and use very small zig zag stitch. Use regular thread that matches back in bobbin and invisible thread on top. I am certain you will like the look. If you are unsure try it on scrap. You can email me privately and I will be happy to send you pictures. Gramily