Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing binding on  by machine ??s >

Sewing binding on by machine ??s

Sewing binding on by machine ??s

Old 05-27-2013, 03:43 PM

I also 'just go for it' when machine sewing a binding on a quilt. However, I do try to make sure the bobbin and the top thread are 'matched up' to the back (bobbin) and top so that the line isn't too noticeable.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
When I'm being careful, I machine sew to the back and then I glue-baste to the front, making sure that the edge of the binding lines up on the front and back. (I poke a needle through from the back every now and then, right below the binding, to help me make sure I'm exactly lined up.) That way when I machine sew the front, the back seam ends up in the right spot on the back binding too. Usually I just straight stitch but sometimes I use the blanket stitch. Or I zigzag if it's a dog blanket.

More often, though, I just go for it and let there be a line on the back and don't worry about it. MOST of my quilts are for gifts to non-quilters and I've never had anybody notice the line on the back, much less comment on it. I don't mind it on quilts I make for myself either. But if you're making something for a show or if you're just less of a slob than I am (lol), try the glue. (Elmer's WASHABLE white school glue is what I use.)
Thank you for this info. I just machine bound a binding on today - from back and then to the front - with a blanket stitch. But it was far from perfect on the back. I will use the glue in the future!! Thank you!!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I always hand sew my binding to the back. I like the looks and sit and plan my next quilt. I have sewn enough that I am fairly fast at it.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 AM

Those little red clips are great for binding. I sew to the back then turn the binding and clip. This way I can see my sewing line to follow when I machine sew it to the front. It is like sewing in the ditch.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I decided to just go with it and ended with a straight stitch on the front. This one turned out fairly well without too much fussing-- I LOVE using glue to hold the binding in place. This is a kid's quilt that is pretty heavy wth fleece on the back plus a batting and it was so much easier to machine stitch it down.
This board is so helpful and encouraging!! THANKS!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I prefer a serpentine as it is much more forgiving than straight stitching. I have done it with the serpentine half on/half off the binding and also with the serpentine completely on the binding. I think I prefer the latter. The left side of the serpentine gets close enough to the edge that there is no risk of the binding edge turning up.

Best thing to do is experiment with the serpentine settings until you get a look that you like, then prepare a sample quilt edge and try out different placements on the sample. This will tell you pretty quickly what you like best.

Edit: I have tried decorative stitches other than the serpentine, but the only ones that are equally forgiving are those that do not have a center line. My feather stitch, for example, has a center line in addition to left and right stitches. This makes it as difficult to do as straight line stitching. If you have a machine that does non-centered decorative stitches you might want to try a few out. The other thing I found with decorative stitches (other than the serpentine) is that they can take a lot more thread and a lot more time to sew.
I agree! I always finish the binding on the sewing machine. And I used a forigiving stitch. Good input! :-)
Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM

I use Monopoly thread and a blind hem stitch or sometimes matching thread and a decortive stitch.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:09 PM

I do just that and I dont worry about that line of stitching on the back showing. I do match that color to the backing to make it less noticable.

If it is a nice bed quilt for adults, I do the traditional way and hand sew. But most of my quilts are charity for children or military and I do by machine. For the children, you need to machine sew the binding because it will be washed often and dragged around.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by kim_s View Post
Thank you for this info. I just machine bound a binding on today - from back and then to the front - with a blanket stitch. But it was far from perfect on the back. I will use the glue in the future!! Thank you!!
You are VERY welcome...glue basting is something I learned from this board and I think it's the best thing ever, so I'm thrilled to pass the tip along!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:47 PM

I admire all of you that hand sew your binding...I love the look of hand sewn binding but I just don't have the patience for it. Or the time, either...I work full time and then some and I would NEVER finish a quilt if I hand sewed the binding!

Maybe when I retire I'll take up the hand-sewing...if my hands last that long! There's a lot of arthritis in my family...I might have robot hands by then, who knows? (Would it still be hand-stitching if I had robot hands? Or would that count as machine stitching? LOL)