Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing cabinets with lift? >
  • Sewing cabinets with lift?

• Sewing cabinets with lift?

Old 02-25-2018, 04:25 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589704[/ATTACH]Front view of the maple cabinet. You can see the lift mechanism which is adjustable. 4 drawers on right side, thread rack (skinny area on left) [ATTACH=CONFIG]589705[/ATTACH]

The two of them together. The walnut one is so pretty, same set up but 4 inches longer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589706[/ATTACH]Also have to get a plexiglass insert which is specific to each machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589707[/ATTACH]A shot of the back of the maple cabinet. Each one has a table extension on the back that can be folded down. Sorry for the mess. World's worse housekeeper her.

I'm trying to answer your question about cabinets with lifts. I think the answer is it has to be custom made. There are at least two Amish folks here in Indiana that make these. I saw the prices on those Horn?? ones. I paid $875 for the maple one about 6 years ago and $1000. for the larger walnut one last year. I expect they will outlast me. The machine in walnut cabinet is currently broken.
    Attached Thumbnails 20180225_070315_resized.jpg   20180225_070327_resized.jpg   20180225_070359_resized.jpg   20180225_070435_resized.jpg  
    Old 02-25-2018, 04:35 AM

Very nice ladies! My thought is that I need to find a cabinet with a larger opening than the one I have. Once I deal with that, then I'll deal with the machine. The one I was looking at on Craigslist is no longer there. The message I got was that it was pulled for some reason.

So, I'll see if I can find a generic opening cabinet and decide on the machine after that.....at least that's the plan now!
    Old 02-25-2018, 05:33 AM

Default Plexiglas Insert

Originally Posted by Battle Axe
    I have two cabinets with lifts. They are custom made Amish, one maple and one walnut. The walnut one was made for a special machine, Jaonme 1600 P. The base on that one is 20 inches and will not fit in the other cabinet. I took this Janome off a mid arm so it is just plain longer. There is a sweet size and it might be 16 inches, not sure. You can always make a smaller machine go into a bigger hole, but not the other way around. I'll post some pictures later today.
    Where did you order your insert? I have Koalas also.
    Old 02-25-2018, 08:12 AM

I have an older koala cabinet with the lift feature. I have purchased inserts for each of my machines that I use on it. The lift is not as important to me as the flat surface that they provide me. There is a Quilt in a Day video on their site that shows how to make a recessed sewing machine table out of an old dining table. I ordered my inserts from my local sewing machine store.

Last edited by momsbusy; 02-25-2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Adding info
    Old 02-25-2018, 10:51 AM

I have a Kola. It fit my first Viking but I bought a new Viking and the table opening is to small for it. I wish I knew what to do for it to fit.
    Old 02-25-2018, 12:39 PM

I picked up a used cabinet with a lift on CL for about $25. My Viking happens to fit very nicely. If your machine does not fit into the opening is it not possible to just cut the opening larger and then center your machine on the lift? Or am I missing something? Then, if needed, get a plexiglass or whatever material extension piece to fit around your machine?
    Old 02-25-2018, 01:24 PM

The company that makes inserts is called Sew Steady. I have two of these for my specially made Amish cabinet. It is similiar to a Horn cabinet, but not particle board and cost less than a Horn.
    Old 02-25-2018, 04:11 PM

My current cabinet hole can't be enlarged, hence I think I'll start with a table......think........

I really like the "lift" feature because then I can just store my machine inside of it. Without the lift I think I'll have to store the machine some place else. I know I could leave it on top of the cabinet but I don't think I'll want that.
    Old 02-25-2018, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by lzeider
    Mine has a lift and was made by an Amish shop near me. Hole was cut to fit an insert to fit my machine. However it was as much as a Horn cabinet, only wood instead of particle board.
    Was it delivered to you? Where is the Amish shop located?