Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing in camper >

Sewing in camper

Sewing in camper

Old 06-19-2016, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by skothing View Post
Thank you Dbhefner, i am a little worried, we are picking it up on Thursday. Leaving on Friday, I've camp for 65 years. Mom had a picture of me in diapers at camp in 1951. But my husband has not yet done rv route. We travel alot. But to move into a T@B will be fun. We like to move onto the next town, sight seeing. I am tired of hotels and loud rooms next door. Have a few LQS on my list.
I think this sounds like fun, especially not having to be in hotel/motels with loud rooms next door. I just looked at the link you sent, and it is just plain cute. Mainly a bed, and what else do you really need? Well, other than some hand sewing. Enjoy.

Dina
Old 06-19-2016, 05:43 AM

Sounds like hand sewing time.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:16 AM

That looks like a great trailer! My sister wanted to get a teardrop trailer a few years ago; she found the SafariCondo Alto series http://m.safaricondo.com/en/caravane...or=roofR#roofR, and fell in love. We're still planning the road trip to Quebec to pick it up...

I would definitely stick to hand sewing in any trailer without a table. You should expect to spend more time talking to strangers than usual, so don't worry about hubby wearing on your nerves - it will work out.

Enjoy!
Old 06-19-2016, 07:22 AM

That is so cute! We camped for years in a high top conversion van in which the rear seat made into a queen size bed at the touch of a button. It was very luxurious and we and our fur babies were quite comfortable. I would have loved an RV but DH did not want to pull anything behind. I usually took applique, crochet or embroidery to keep my hands busy. DH is not in great health so we don't camp any more, and I really miss it. We are very fortunate, however, that family members have lake and mountain second homes which we are welcome to use. One year when I didn't take anything to sew, I went to the nearest LQS and bought fabric and the necessary tools for a hand quilting project because I was having withdrawal! I take my Featherweight and some precut projects when we travel now. We quilters just can't seem to be without our sewing for any length of time!
Old 06-19-2016, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

You would have to sew outside. No room in there.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

When DH and I have traveled by car/truck, I took hand sewing and some word puzzles but didn't get much of either done. It was just nice looking at the scenery. I would sometimes take pics and make notes. Doesn't look as big as our bedroom and we have a small room the way it is.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:35 AM

I always take quilting with me when we camp in our 22' camper. I bought an Omnigrid thingy which opens up like a
book and has a cutting mat on one side and an ironing mat on the other. I cut all of my pieces before we leave, take
along my notions and put everything in Tupperware. Even thought about sewing outside since many campgrounds
have a picnic table. I've got a small travel iron too--and don't forget an extension cord. You'll be a happy camper!!!
Old 06-19-2016, 12:28 PM

You do have a small campler. I've never seen the inside of one. When we had a tent camper I sewed on the picnic table during the day. The camper had an outlet on the outside that I could plug into. At night I sewed on the fold down table if only two of the children were with us. Not sure what you have available in the way of tables or such. If no table is available, perhaps you could plan projects and do the cutting while away to sew when you are at home. Heading to Alaska myself this week which means no quilting for the next two weeks. However, I will be thinking about my next project and planning on paper when I have a chance.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:58 AM

We have a Lance slide in camper on back of pickup and I have taken my sewing machine and supplies I needed. But, it does have a table I can sew on. If you camp at places that has elect hoop ups, you are in business. I have sewed outside before on table and it is so awesome looking at the beautiful scenery and doing some stitching. Enjoy your tear drop, I think it is so cute. Hope it has a bathroom though. That is something I would have to have. lol.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
You would have to sew outside. No room in there.
That's what I'm thinking. You could make like a "pioneer woman" and be creative. Hand pieced blocks maybe?