Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing chair >

sewing chair

sewing chair

Old 01-07-2020, 05:38 AM

I am also a stool fan - have a "wobble" stool that is my favorite. Swivel, bend over, no wheels but easy to move and takes up very little space.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:54 PM

Find a quality office chair that fits you. If it has arms and you don’t want them check the bottom and see if you can unscrew them. I have a Koala table. They are available in different heights but this one was on sale. It is a little high for me also. The quilt store where I purchased it had a high quality adjustable chair that I purchased with the table. It was expensive but I liked it so well I purchased a second one.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by NewbyBetty View Post
Thank you so much for your response to my question. I definitely think that I am stooping over. I have a koala table. I think maybe I need a height adjustable chair to put me at the right angle for my table.
Most office chairs are height adjustable. In addition to looking for a new chair check out your overall posture as you sew. Checking the height of your chair is a good first step. I find I need to sit well back in my chair and have the chair support my back also. Sometimes it is also a matter of getting up and moving around periodically.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:38 PM

My Chair broke today and I almost fell off three times before I realized. The bottom of the chair came off the seat. I ordered a new chair on amazon today and it will be here about the 14th or 15th and I will show you a picture and tell you how it is. The one that broke lasted a long time.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:55 PM

I got a new one a year or two ago. My old one was my daughter's old desk chair that even she had given up on, We went to an office supply store and checked prices and sat in a few.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:32 AM

I suggest an office chair with adjustable seat and back tilt. One that fixes with levers and doesn"t give when you lean back. Armless, but don't rule out the chairs with arms. Many have to be assembled at home and you can simply leave off the arms. But a few use the arms to attach the back, avoid those.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:04 AM

NewbyBetty I want to reiterate what Selm mentioned. Many of us are getting older and find that the other thing that is important is just to move. I sew a bit then get up and get a drink, sew a bit and do some dishes, sew a bit... I also choose to intersperse my sewing and my cutting. I do a little of each, that way I stand and then sit. If I get sore doing one of them I do a little more of the other. I also have to get up to iron, it is only a few feet away but it meaning moving again. Quilting is a sedentary sport you have to find ways to make it work for you.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:14 AM

That was wonderfully helpful, Donna 13350, and clear. What is your opinion of saddle chairs?
Old 03-11-2020, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I love my Arrow office chair mumbai, the non adjustable one. It has saved my back. There is an adjustable one too but the regular chair is more of a sewing chair to me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I needed it. Great machine height, great chair and great lighting are my priorities. These three things are where I will never make do in my sewing room.
Good. try gaming chairs for more comfort
Old 03-11-2020, 03:57 AM

I'm a big believer in the right tool for the right job and chairs are incredibly important, I prefer an armless "steno" chair style that rolls and turns. Tables too for that matter, I've seen some of you sewing on folding card tables that buck like a prize winning bronco while you sew... Take in consideration your sewing machine height as well as your desk height. I can see where I want a better table to fit my machine if I'm going to be doing more quilting, for piecing the height is ok but man, my back would appreciate having the machine inset into the table.

I have a relatively long torso and relatively short arms and legs. The tray drops on most computer desks are simply too low for me to use, for me the correct height is desk top for my keyboard. Likewise, the raised height of my sewing machine is good for me for piecing but as I said, not so good for quilting down.

Once you get the chair, it is not a matter of setting it once and forgetting about it, you want a chair that can be adjusted easily up and down and different days you will want to set it a bit differently. That's also good for the mechanical parts of the chair, use them or lose them!