Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing and/or Embroidery machine comparisons >

Sewing and/or Embroidery machine comparisons

Sewing and/or Embroidery machine comparisons

Old 02-21-2014, 08:54 AM

Default Sewing and/or Embroidery machine comparisons

I am looking for a comparison chart to compare machines from different companies for features. Brother and Baby Lock have them on their websites but they only compare models from each of their companies.

Does anyone know where you can compare features, etc by different companies?

Thank you
Old 02-21-2014, 09:14 AM

I would just print out the specs of each machine you are interested in, and look at them side by side than go test drive the ones that have the features you want. All machines have pros and cons and also have features that other machines don't have you just have to decide what features are most important to you. Even within the same brand you can have very different features. What features are you specifically looking for. Maybe if you post what features you are looking for we can recommend some models to test
Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 AM

I think you will have difficulty finding that. You can find LOTS of reviews at www.patternreview.com though, so that's one thing I would suggest. Otherwise, I'd do as suggested and print out the specs of the ones you like to compare and then go test drive them. FYI - in most cases (at least in the higher end machines) there will be a Babylock and a Brother with matching specs, because they are siblings. The differences will mostly be found in what designs are built into the machines. For instance, some Brothers have licensed Disney designs, etc.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

In my experience it's better to decide which features you *really* want to have, then test drive machines that have those features. It's no use to have a lot of fancy features you won't actually ever use. Even my vintage Bernina 1230 has features that I don't use. What's important to me is that the features I use on a daily basis work really, really well for me -- consistent and good.

The other thing to have solidly in mind at the beginning is your budget.

Both of the above will narrow down the field enough so that you have a manageable number of things to compare.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:20 PM

When I was machine shopping a number of years ago, I just made up my own spreadsheet/comparison chart. I listed my needs/wants down the left side; machine make/model across the top. Put x in the box for which machine had what feature and prices at the bottom. I could then decide which had as many of MY needs/wants and then decide which prices fit in my budget and test drove from there.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:37 PM

I own two embroidery machines. I will tell you what I like and dislike about each. My first is a Bernina Deco 650. At the time I worked for a Bernina dealer so I got an employee discount. I love that machine and over the years have bought it lots of software, extra hoops etc. The main thing I like about it as opposed to my other machine is that it loads on the right side. This allows for much easier loading of larger items as the fabric has room to stretch out on the left side. That machine uses the PES format. Over the years I purchased an extension table for it and extra hoops. When that machine began to show wear and tear I looked into another one. Bernina had gone to the combination machines by that time. I like the stand alone embroidery machine. I don't have to break down or set it up so that I can either sew or embroider. I needed to find another machine that used the PES format for all that software I had acquired. The Brother PE780D uses the same format. My biggest complaint with it is that it loads from the left outside. This limits how big a project you can stuff inside that harp space. I believe that the Brother machine actually cost less than I paid for the Bernina at least ten years before. I don't know how much money you want to spend. You might try purchasing one of the inexpensive little machines they sell in Walmart etc. just to see if you really like it. All embroidery machines come with a number of patterns already in them. It usually includes several alphabets etc. If you fall in love than you can look into the more serious machines. It doesn't take long to get addicted. I probably have $1000 dollars tied up in thread that I purchased in every color for my embroidery. I have both of my embroidery machines set up on a table against the wall. I can run something on each of them at the same time I am sewing on my Bernina Artista 185 sewing machine that is set up on it's own table six feet or so away. I can sit in my swivel office chair and operate all three machines without getting up. There is room under the table holding the embroidery machines for a lot of my supplies in plastic storage units. the nice thing about the embroidery machines is that you pick your design, load the object to be embroidered, thread the machine and push the go button. If the thread needs to be changed it stops and waits for you. You can be sewing on another machine or doing anything else you want to do while the design is being sewn out. I am not an artist but the embroidery machine allows me to look like one. If price is an issue check with the local dealers of the machines you like the best. Many of us get hooked and trade up when we are able. Often the dealers have machines with very low "milage" that they will sell you for a great price. My local Bernina dealer is a Mennonite gentleman who has made me some great deals over the years.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:03 PM

Thank you for the great input. I am actually asking for someone else.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:41 PM

I am sure the brands would not like to see a chart comparing them to others....tho It would be nice if one was created.
I would visit a large dealer that sells multiple brands. The staff may be able to help differentiate one model vs. another.

what is the $$ budget?
Pattern Review dot com is a great resource.

sandy
Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 PM

I'm not sure what her budget is. I suspect she is thinking less than a $1000 but I am not certain. We just talked about machines and she said what I had was much more than what she wanted. I am a Baby Lock woman. I believe she has bought her machines at stores that sell various mdse.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:44 PM

I recommend that you visit several shops that have several different types of machines and test drive then ask for the specification sheets on each machine you liked. Go home and compare. Narrow down to 2-3 models and go back to the shops and test drive each to make your decision. Keep an open mind. You will know which machine is personally "fit" your needs by feel. Hard to explain but you will know the right one after "playing" around with them.
good luck.