Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
embroidery machine comparisons >

embroidery machine comparisons

embroidery machine comparisons

Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 PM

Default embroidery machine comparisons

Hi, I am looking for any information or comments regarding the comparison of various sewing/embroidery machines. I DO NOT want a Janome. I am leaning towards one of the 700 or 800 series Bernina sewing/emboidery machine but would like comments from the forum.

Thank you.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:57 PM

The Bernina website has the specs. of all models where you can compare all the different machines and the differences between them. I have an 8 series Bernina.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:12 PM

Quilter9950 - just curious - why no Janome? I may be looking for an embroidery machine later this year and I'm interested in what your concerns are.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 PM

I have seen a couple of people having recurring problems with the new 15000 and I don't think I want to go that direction.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:40 PM

Your statement confuses me, are you looking for info on other brands or just berninas, because you said you didn't want a janome, but also said you wanted a comparison of various machines. What features do you want most in an embroidery machine. All brands have low to high end models that do well but all are different in their own ways. Do you want good sewing features and embroidery or do you want an embroidery only machine. it is best to go try out machines as these cost a great deal of money and you don't want to invest in a machine you don't like.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:02 PM

Personally, I would never get a combination sewing/embroidery machine again. You want to sew, but then you have to stop and set the machine up all fancy, including adjusting the tension, and then take the time for the embroidery pattern to be sewn - and THEN take it all apart and set it back up for sewing, including adjusting the tension. The next one I get will be a straight sewing machine. Perhaps later I'll get a straight embroidery machine that I can set up and leave with all the adjustments done so it's ready to go. I'd certainly increase the amount of embroidery I do if I had a 'stand alone' set of machines.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:34 AM

I have a sewing embroidery machine combo also, a Brother 1500D and it is a great machine. But I think the next machine I buy will be a straight stitch machine, either a Brother or Babylock.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:51 AM

I have a Brother Quattro machine...sewing and embroidery. I love it!! After doing embroidery, I don't have to take it apart to use just for sewing. If I want to, I can leave the embroidery unit on. The arm moves out of the way when you put it in sewing mode. Or you can take the unit off and slide another part on to sew if you want.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:04 AM

I do very little machine embroidery so I bought a Brother PE770 off of Amazon. I know, I know...but my local Brother dealer doesn't sell this machine, they only carry high end ones and I didn't need anything anywhere near that fancy.

I've only used it a few times so far but so far it has worked brilliantly right out of the box. It has a larger hoop than most inexpensive machines (which I haven't even used yet, lol) and so far (knock on wood) I haven't had a single problem with the machine. I haven't tried embroidering on tough materials yet (like a baseball cap) so I can't say how it'll do there, but for plain cotton it's great. Nice even stitches, good tension...I did have some thread fraying/shredding issues but I was using really cheap thread...switched to a better brand and that fixed the issue.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:16 AM

I was in the same position as you last July. I researched and compared on line various combo machines. Thought I wanted a brother Quattro or a Babylock....that is until I visited a store and sat down with the various machines and tinkered with the various functions. I spent 4 hours at the store and tried out 6 different machines. I ended up with a Janome horizon 12000 and I love the ease of use. The machine sews beautifully , comes with 20 different feet, and 4 hoops various sizes small to extra large. It is very quiet. The embroidery stitches are superb . I have not had any issues with the machine. You can get a good deal now since the 15000 is out.
My recommendation is to sit down and try out the various machines to determine which one you connect with. You just might be surprised ..as I was.