Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing feet storage? >

Sewing feet storage?

Sewing feet storage?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

When I'm quilting and need to switch back and forth from regular presser foot, 1/4" presser foot and walking foot, I have a small container next to my sewing machine, lined with fabric where I put extra bobbins and thread for the project and the feet, although I also have a tiered thingamabob that has different levels that I use for scissors, pencils, pens, and at the bottom there is a "box" where I usually put my walking foot. It seems to be working for me.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:51 AM

My Elna has a compartment for all the feet. Makes it very nice and is always with the machine but the coments made about the lure boxes sounds great. I liked the idea with the foam, could cut slits and use it like a ring box and velcro it to the wall. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I don't have that many feet to need extra storage. But, my husband is a fisherman and from this I know that you can boxes in almost any size with movable dividers.
I have a hanging thingy with little clear plastic pockets originally designed to hold jewelry. I can see the feet thru the clear plastic which makes them easy to find. It holds one foot per pocket.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:13 AM

I use a box meant for fishing gear,(like the one you discribed with the movable pieces) they are very inexpensive at Walmart. I keep it to the right of my machine one my sewing table. Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 AM

I must be a slob, I have 4 sewing machines and the longarm and I gave up with all the feet, ending up everywhere. I got one of those wire type baskets at wall mart in the office area, black, small holes in wire, 5x7". I just toss everything in there and set it on a shelf. That way no matter which machine I'm using - it's ll there. Easily moves from machine to machine and can't roll or be pushed by my playful four legged partner in sewing, Mr.T. all 13lbs of his feline wonder wanting my attention. Happy stitching
Old 12-21-2012, 08:31 AM

Some really great ideas.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
Last night while sewing and changing feet a gazillion times, and digging through the little box on the front of my machine I decided I need to come up with a better system for storing my various feet. I normally just lay the ones I need on the table beside me and they will eventually get knocked off. And to find what I need in that silly little free arm box is URGGGG! Pardon my complaining, what I really want to know is if any of you have come up with a better system for storing your feet? I thought about a small plastic container with slots that you can adjust but then I'd have to find a place for that. My sewing table drawer is only 4 inches wide! I thought about getting a piece of thick foam board and sticking them toe up in the foam and velcroing to the wall. Okay I was desparate and it was late so my mind wasn't coming up with anything good. Any suggestions or pictures? I know one of you have come up with something wonderful thats gonna make me kick myself and say why didn't I think of that! Thanks in advance!
I use a plastic box I found in the tool section of Home Depot...It has a lot of drawers that pull out...I labeled each one so I don't have to hunt for a foot that I might need....
Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 AM

I keep my Bernina feet in the little storage box that came with the machine. I recently bought a lady's fishing tackle box and stored all the feet and equipment needed for my Singer 7069 that I use for class and sewing get togethers. The tackle box works great, stores in my carrying case, and the dividers came out so that I could fit everything in them including the button hole attachment and other longer items like a screwdriver and seam ripper. I got them at Dick's Sporting Goods and there was two to a pack for $8.99.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:02 PM

I have a small (a little less than 10x5x1")plastic box that I think was intnded for cross stitchers to put embroidery floss in. It has 3 rows and dividers to put in for the width so you can adjust for different feet. I have 20 stored in mine.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by RAChhap View Post
I have a small (a little less than 10x5x1")plastic box that I think was intnded for cross stitchers to put embroidery floss in. It has 3 rows and dividers to put in for the width so you can adjust for different feet. I have 20 stored in mine.
My Janome has a box with compartments that fit each foot so you know if you have the right one in the right place. It holds all the basic feet I use, and there is more area to put the other feet that don't have their own compartment. I keep my feet there so I don't use it. i keep it close to either machine I'm using at the time.