Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing furniture >

Sewing furniture

Sewing furniture

Old 01-29-2017, 11:44 AM

JaniceP, that is an impressive looking table and a very reasonable price. Does the lower shelf reduce the leg room at all?
Old 01-29-2017, 11:51 AM

I bought a wooden kitchen table from Craigs List and had my son and his friend cut a whole in each end to set my machines in. It is a 36 x 60 I think and is really great for quilting a large quilt on. I paid about 90 dollars for it. Just be sure it is real wood if you want to cut a cut out for your sewing machine.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:09 PM

Often you can find computer tables and machine fits where keyboard goes and that works good and can be very reasonable. I have that folds up and one left in rental that doesn'. Problem I have now is no space in house to put them up and use them.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:31 PM

My brother is going to build a table for me using the pattern from Terry Hyer Design Alternatives. The top is 24 sf of space and it has storage. The storage is on three sides of the table. You can cut the top so your machine bed is level to the top. I chose not to do this because I sew with two different machines, Pfaff ands a Brother. I got the pattern from Keepsake Quilting. Another suggestion: my old sewing cabinet was an armoire with a fold down table. I got it from Dania and used it for 30 years until it was destroyed by a flood in our sower level. Just saw something similar at a thrift store yesterday.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:51 PM

I found some nice sewing furniture at the thrift shops that were donated by a hotel. I found a real nice dresser without mirror that had a middle clerical drawer and to the left had 3 large drawers. It was really nice as I could scoot a chair to the right side and have the drawers on the left side. It had a nice laminated top and was really nice. I only paid $20.00 for it. I ended up buying two so my husband could have it as a desk. Then bought two matching chest tablets for my sun porch for the same price. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:53 PM

I just recently purchased an extra sewing desk from Allbrands.com and I couldn't be more pleased. They have a large selection of sewing items from machines to furniture etc. They have become one of my favorite go-to shopping places. Hope you'll take a look.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:54 PM

My sewing table is NOT portable, but a terrific, ultra-stable, large (30" x 72") surface that's terrific for all kinds of work.

It's an old cafeteria table that I pulled out of someone's trash pile at the curb. It weighs a bloody ton and was rusting along the lower edge and kind of grody on top. I sanded down the rust and painted the entire base. The grody top got a good scrubbing and a layer of clear press-on vinyl.

It ain't purdy, but I've been sewing on it for more than 15 years and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Moral of this story -- you don't need some $1500 (or more) "sewing furniture" to be a happy and successful quilter. You just need a stable surface that won't vibrate every time you put your foot on the pedal and that fits your space and your budget.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:58 PM

I found my Horn table on craigslist for $250. Needed a couple rollers and a good cleaning - it was in storage and they held drawers in and extensions down with duct tape, the glue residue was quite a challenge! I ordered an insert for it and I love it. But I had been looking for quite a while, so be patient.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:24 AM

In December I purchased an Ethan Allen mahagony desk at an auction and paid $250. (It's original price was $3,000). Once my new sewing room is finished (estimated April), I plan to have a cutout so I can sink one of my machines into it.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:38 AM

I use a 1960's version of the Sew EZ table that my mother bought from JC Penney for $35. I will never get rid of it! It folds flat to store under my bed when not in use.