Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing....halted! >

Sewing....halted!

Sewing....halted!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

I say a prayer to St. Anthony when I lose an item. I find the item or will find out what happen to it.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:03 AM

I have lost small tools, sissors etc over the years as I sew but now I have found the cure....I made a little duffle , pattern from Connecting threads,and keep it right by my machine with all of my small tools. As I use them they go back into the duffle. No more hunting under fabric, on the floor, in the trash etc and when I go to quilt meetings or classes all of my tools are ready to go. It saves so much frustration. Good luck finding your foot and I agree, a cheap little iron works for me after my Rowenta died.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:04 AM

Same thing happened to my creative grid 2 1/2 x 6 1/2 ruler (love that thing). I searched and searched for a month, finally resorted to cleaning and reorganizing the bloody room -- still no ruler. A couple of weeks later, I got up early and went into my sewing room to put something away. You guessed it, there is my ruler laying in the middle of the floor. I had just been in there the previous night -- no ruler.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:46 AM

Similar story. To clean my machine I took the bobbin race out of my janome. That involves a few screws and pieces. I put everything in a SAFE PLACE. But when I had put it all back together I couldn't find the bobbin compartment cover, I looked high and low. Couldn't really sew without it. So I trekked my way to the repair store. They tried not to laugh but they didn't have one in stock. But they found one on a used model and sold it to me for $10. Ouch.
About a month later I went into the parts box for a new needle and there it was. Why that part went into the box and nothing else. I will never know.
MaryKatherine
Old 01-30-2014, 05:53 AM

I have a "helper" with me in my sewing room, my cat. He thinks he's helping my organization by knocking small items on the floor. He likes to see them fall. So, I try to keep a box, or a drawer for those feet.

My husband bid on something else at an auction, and an iron was included. Works like a charm. I had bought another iron myself at a consignment/resale shop for $3. Best investment I made. B&D, both irons and the same model. Couple of auctions later and my DH came home with 2 more. Now my quilting DD has a back up iron. Worth looking in a resale shop.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

You will find it when you least expect...Always happens that way...
Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by bigredharley View Post
want to talk poltergeist? I had a red knit afghan we used in the family room almost every day. All of a sudden it's gone. I've looked in every room and closet in the house. the only 2 people that live here are hubby and me, and he was on a business trip. I've been going nuts trying to find it.
Could it have slipped behind and down under the couch?
Could it have slipped down under the cushions and then back up under the back of the sofa?
Could a burglar have come in (it takes seconds) grabbed it and put some small 'sellable items' in it to carry out in a hurry?
Check in the car/trunk? did you stuff a pillow cover over it? did a grandchild/niece-nephew/neighbor 'borrow' it?

I love a good mystery, so forgive me.

Good luck. I hope you do find it safe and sound.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:06 AM

I used to think that people who had those expensive irons were nuts. I mean its an iron. 6$ or 60$ they do the same thing, right? My sister bought a Rowenta a few weeks ago. I tried it, and will be getting mine this weekend. lol. I get it now. Can't explain it, but I get it. I will be keeping my walmart iron for fusibles and stuff like that, but I WANT the Rowenta for everything else. I may actually enjoy ironing my clothes now.

check under the couch cushions for the blanket. I once lost a comforter for over a month, until i finally changed the sheets on the waterbed. The bed ate it.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:32 AM

I LOVE my Rowenta steam generator! I'm on the second one in 14 years. First one the problem was with the on/off switch. My new one doesn't have an on/off switch - you just plug it in.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I chalk it up to sewing room gremlins that move things when you aren't looking.