Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sewing injury?

Blog Entries
    Ouch!!! I was cutting yesterday. Laid the rotary cutter down and for real picked it up thinking those qb ladies told you not to do that. Now I will be extra careful. You warned us of the dangers lurking.

I also sliced a corner tip of my finger off earlier this year. I am finally getting all the feeling back. I am real careful now. Hope your finger gets back to normal soon, those bandages from the ER get in the way of sewing :)

I was home alone late one winter night. DH was away at deer camp. I was making the most of my sewing time when I cut my finger with the rotary cutter. I drove myself to the ER and had to have 7 stitches. I was not a happy camper. It healed nicely and I now have a great deal of respect for Mr. R Cutter.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Oh my! Thanks for the warning. I need it everyone in a while :(

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyewwwwwwww!
    Another good reason for me to get a gripper - to keep the cutter from slicing me to pieces.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Ouch! When I first began using a new machine, I hit the wrong button when I leaned around my machine. Instead of hitting the bobbin wind button, I hit the cut thread button. Oh boy, was that painful. The needle went all the way through my index finger and broke into two pieces when it hit the bone. I came in and gave my husband the needle nose pliers to pull the needle out. He was able to to pull the part that came out of the fingernail, but when he tried to pull the other end he kept pinching me with the end of the pliers. Finally, I took the pliers and pulled it out myself. I was lucky that I had just put in a new needle and so it was clean. It healed fine, but it was sore for more than a few days.
    OMGoodness!!!!! :shock: Who are you? Ironwoman??!!! :lol: :lol: That gave me the chills just reading it!!! :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Wife
    Never doubt the power of a treadle machine. At age 11, I sewed right through my finger. It missed the bone, so the needle didn't break. It happened so fast it didn't even hurt! I must have really been pedaling that machine!
    When I read your reply, I had to look who sent it. My sister did the same thing at about age 10 or 11 on the treadle we learned to sew on. That was more than 45 years ago. Just a few weeks ago I was reminded of this when I was careless and got my finger under the needle and got quite a poke. It bent the needle and I had to change it. This was on my more modern machine though.

Years ago I asked to use my MILs sewing machine for a project. As she hovered over me, I was so nervous that I started sewing and somehow brought the needle straight thru my thumbnail...It broke of course and I pulled it out....AND I never asked to use her machine again I was so embarrased.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Ouch! When I first began using a new machine, I hit the wrong button when I leaned around my machine. Instead of hitting the bobbin wind button, I hit the cut thread button. Oh boy, was that painful. The needle went all the way through my index finger and broke into two pieces when it hit the bone. I came in and gave my husband the needle nose pliers to pull the needle out. He was able to to pull the part that came out of the fingernail, but when he tried to pull the other end he kept pinching me with the end of the pliers. Finally, I took the pliers and pulled it out myself. I was lucky that I had just put in a new needle and so it was clean. It healed fine, but it was sore for more than a few days.
    I think my DH would have "tossed his cookies" immediately after performing 'surgery'!

:roll:

I was recycling some buttons the other week and stabbed myself with the seam ripper. Does that count? I was putting them on a baby sweater that I made for my niece's twins. No blood on the yarn and it's all healed now.

I sewed my finger with a treadle machine when I was about 14 and broke a neadle in my finger once had to pull it out, but my husband takes the cake.
    he cut of the sides of 2 fingers with a stanley knife and it took months to heal properly, another time he sliced the side of his index finger and it healed with a lump, a few months later he did it again and took the lump of now it has healed without a lump, but when i rang emergency and told them i was bringing in my husband as he had sliced the side of his finger of she said don't come in till after 5PM as the doctor won't be here before that to stitch i told her there was nothing left to stitch, so i took him in to get it dressed and she said your right there's nothing left, that took ages to heal. he has been in er so many times they all greet him by name

OUCH!! I pray for a speedy recovery!

That must have really hurt. Gives me butterflies just thinking about it. Hope it feels better soon.

Blog Entries
    Reading all your posts has made me twitchy!

I no longer go in my sewing room without shoes on since I dropped my open rotary cutter on my bare foot and had to have fifhteen stitches I have also put a needle through my finger not a pretty site had to go have a friend pull it out

OUCH! I have a hard time reading this...I am a very visual person when reading and a woos to top it!

Power Poster
    makes my tummy do funny things

I have stabbed myself many times with a seam ripper, stuck myself with pins so many times its not even funny and was the victim of the rotary blade when I wasn't careful and sliced into my left index finger.... twice. Stitches, bandaids and antiseptic aside I would still rather sew and quilt than anything else.

Ouch---hope for you to have a speedy recovery. And yes, I too many years ago, as a teenager, I was sewing and never wore shoes (but now I always wear shoes when sewing), and stepped on a needle that was on the floor, and ended up having surgery. The needle had broke and was imbedded in my bone couldn't get it out any other way.

By the way my husband bought finger guards for my rulers so no more slicing and diceing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darlin121
    By the way my husband bought finger guards for my rulers so no more slicing and diceing!
    Finger guards for rulers???

Yes, they are clear plastic L-shaped brackets that have self adhesive on them. I line the guard up with my 1 inch mark on the ruler and place it there. Ask at your Local quilt shop for the O'lipfa Rotary Cutting Safety Shield. You can get a 3-pack for about $12-$15 dollars and sure beats a trip to the Emergency room.

Blog Entries
    I know I am too comfortable with my machines and scissors. I think we all end up learning a lesson at some point and then have a great respect for things that cut and pierce!! OUCH!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2