Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing kit for a 6 year old >

sewing kit for a 6 year old

sewing kit for a 6 year old

Old 11-05-2010, 10:00 AM

I would get her her own cute sewing box. maybe even one of those old fashioned hat boxes too keep her scraps or projects or fabric in. and deffinatly some thread and needles and little safety sissors that she can use by herself. with a promise of big girl sissors and roatery cutter when she is older. At walmart they might have a dolly and me appron kit. I got one for my dd who is only 2 1/2. I got one that is also matching in my size. (I got a sewing machine (a toy one with finger guard) for my dd for christmass this year that is going to be our first project together.) I would also get a pin cusion and maybe some cute pins also. Depending on how mature and good she is with hand sewing those Lacing cards with laces are also great. I have them for my dd to "sew with" when I am doing my hand work. And maybe some cheep rulers too. just something so that when you are working with the roatery cutter with her she can use her "own" to "practice" with. that way she doesn't ruin your while learning the ins and outs of cutting. hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:14 PM

Maybe in addition to the basics like scissors, needles, pins, etc, you can give her some bright colored felt sheets, since felt doesn't ravel, and some batting or stuffing, to make little dolls and stuffed animals.

Maybe some charm squares to play with/sew with, as well.

My daughter is 4 and for Christmas I'm going to make her a little sewing kit. She does really well with hand embroidery.