Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing mach oil bottles >

Sewing mach oil bottles

Sewing mach oil bottles

Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I bought a drop pen from a Bernina dealer. I thought too expensive at the time but now I know it was worth it. It's refillable and has never leaked. ( The last time I looked at a new one it wasn't refillable! Bad Bernina) Be sure you can see the color of the oil in the container. Any color at all, don't use the oil. It has to be clear. Yellowish oil will be sticky and gum up the works.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by babindg12200 View Post
Did you all know that your oil goes bad after 3 months? Well it does, you have to get new oil frequently. I buy the oil in the small tubes from Joanne's, and it usually lasts enough for me. They come in a 3tube set. Check it out.
Who told you that? I've got oil that is YEARS old, and it's still oil, it's still good and it still works just fine. Like BellaBoo said, if it starts to discolor, then I don't use it....but in my experience, that takes a LONG time, or certainly longer than 3 months!
Just out of curiosity, do those expensive little tubes have expiration dates on them? I would think, that if it's only going to last 3 months, that they would...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by babindg12200 View Post
Did you all know that your oil goes bad after 3 months? Well it does, you have to get new oil frequently. I buy the oil in the small tubes from Joanne's, and it usually lasts enough for me. They come in a 3tube set. Check it out.
How do you know how long the oil has been sitting on the shelf at the store or at the manufacturers before it even got to the store? How do you know it isn't already 3 months old when you buy it?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:27 AM

This is what I use. I got so tired of those stupid telescoping oilers. This is less messy and more precise. I can put exactly how many drops I want in my machine. The tube is squeezable and refillable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]316111[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pen-point-oiler.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Peckish, I had one like yours and it worked great until one day I squeezed it and it busted. I had an oil puddle on my machine. Be sure and check it every once in a while for brittleness. If you have a vintage all metal Singer be sure and use the Singer Lubricant. It's a thick lubricant. It's still sold in small tubes.