Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine advice >

Sewing machine advice

Sewing machine advice

Old 07-26-2014, 07:49 PM

I looked at both the Janome 8900 & the Bernina 710 this spring. The Janome was $3,000, no trade in & probably no
classes as the dealer was putting the store up for sale. The Janome dealership is now 1-1/2 hrs away. Bernina dealer gave me $400 for trade in(only paid $600 for the machine) plus classes & is only 20 min away. I was leaning to the Bernina so took DH with me to see what he thought & He felt the Bernina was the better deal. As was mentioned earlier,
service & personal attention/help is very important. Now I just need more time to sew
Old 07-27-2014, 03:53 AM

I bought the Janome 8900 last August. I have really enjoyed sewing on it. The extra throat space is wonderful! It has tons of stitches that are fun to use. It makes a beautiful stitch for sewing and quilting, has a lot of extra feet included. Has just about every feature that a quilter would want like needle down, built in scissors, Acufeed foot, good lighting. It is a nice heavy machine with no vibrating. I am very satisfied with my purchase. Free lifetime classes are offered by my dealer, but I haven't needed any so far. It is pretty intuitive to use and has a good manual with it.

I can't speak about any of the new Berninas. I have heard of some problems with them. I do have the older Artista 180, and it is a great machine. I use it mostly for embroidery. I've never had any problems with it. My dealer quit selling Bernina, or I would have never switched machines. I love my Bernina. Have fun choosing and using your new machine.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I have two Bernina both older models, a 1030 and 1530 and nothing major has occurred with either of them. You really have to chose of which options the DSM offers that you prefer. Is there a dealer closer to you than the other? It is really like choosing a car. Dealer support is really important.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Dealer support can be important, but remember that dealers can go out of business. That's what happened a year after I bought my Bernina 1230 (fifteen+ years ago). I was really glad I had gone in for the free courses on using the machine.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:17 PM

I agree with the dealer support. I specifically bought my 1st Bernina because I loved the dealer. Then they went out of business and I've been forced to go to the other dealer now.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Dealer support can be important, but remember that dealers can go out of business. That's what happened a year after I bought my Bernina 1230 (fifteen+ years ago). I was really glad I had gone in for the free courses on using the machine.
I agree! My Janome dealer sold out their store and moved just a few months after I bought my 6500P several years ago.
Thank goodness I have had no issues with my machine. There is a quilt shop 50miles away that will service the machine, so I have that option. So far I keep it clean, do not use C&C because of the lint issue and it is doing well.

My vintage featherweight, my 301 and my 99K all put the new machine to shame as far as thick seams, beautiful stitches and are just plain fun to use.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:04 AM

I love my Janome. I used a loaner Bernina during a sewing class once and found it difficult, so probably would not want to buy one. But you really need to go to the dealer and sew on both enough to know which you prefer. froggyinteas
Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

I love my Bernina but find they have gotten pricy. I would have to look at a few other brands if mine ever dies.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:11 PM

Wow! Free classes. What part of Kentucky?

My understanding at my location is that there will be classes on "the Janome 8900 feet" for a cost.

Most of the feet are not even ones I will use in quilting. I don't see a 1/4"foot or stitch in the ditch foot. I have never used a button hole foot, etc.

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
I bought the Janome 8900 last August. I have really enjoyed sewing on it. The extra throat space is wonderful! It has tons of stitches that are fun to use. It makes a beautiful stitch for sewing and quilting, has a lot of extra feet included. Has just about every feature that a quilter would want like needle down, built in scissors, Acufeed foot, good lighting. It is a nice heavy machine with no vibrating. I am very satisfied with my purchase. Free lifetime classes are offered by my dealer, but I haven't needed any so far. It is pretty intuitive to use and has a good manual with it.

I can't speak about any of the new Berninas. I have heard of some problems with them. I do have the older Artista 180, and it is a great machine. I use it mostly for embroidery. I've never had any problems with it. My dealer quit selling Bernina, or I would have never switched machines. I love my Bernina. Have fun choosing and using your new machine.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 PM

I have owned every brand of machine at one time or another - I just love sewing machines. I had several Berninas and I just got fed up with their (company) attitude. Feet and accessories are outrageous. My Vikings have been fine, my Pfaff's difficult since I bought tol machines and I won't buy another one. For my money the Brother/Babylock is the most intuitive machines out there. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to operate them. I like the Janomes, but they seem to be a beat behind. But it depends on you. Find out what you like to sew with.