Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine blues >

Sewing machine blues

Sewing machine blues

Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
I have a question, is it possible the reason the needle is hitting the plate is because a straight stitch plate is on the machine? I use a straight stitch plate on my Bernina when I'm piecing. I have to remember to change plates when I switch to decorative stitches. If I don't, I will break a needle and I may hurt my machine. Just a thought, hope you figure it out. I know how expensive vet care is. But at least your dog is getting better.

Boy, this sounds familiar! Been there, done that! LOL!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 AM

I have an older viking and am having tension trouble and the zig zag won't work. My repairman told me that it is probably because I rarely use the zz and buttonhole function and it is probably gunked up with old oil. He said I should run it thru the functions every time I sew or at least every other time.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the replies. Quilter...good suggestion..I have also left a straight stitch plate on..but not on this occasion. I did consider buying one at Walmart. What I am going to do is get my daughters Viking 740 I think is the model. I will use it until I go home. Hopefully it will not break. I have had Vikings since 1976... This is the first problem I have ever had. My daughter is so busy with her 1 1/2 year twins, she does not have time to sew anything. Carol aka Reba
Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 AM

How frustrating to not be able to use your machine! Think the idea of using you daughters machine is probably your best bet in this situation. And I certainly understand her not having time to sew with two toddlers!