Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Drop in Table >

Sewing Machine Drop in Table

Sewing Machine Drop in Table

Old 04-06-2015, 06:01 AM

Default Sewing Machine Drop in Table

I have read lots of tutorials of how people took a desk, an old table, a counter top and had their great carpenters or themselves make a hole and then drop their machine into the cavity to have a level sewing space instead of just the the tiny little table to sew on. My question is what do all of you do when you want to embroider? Do you lift the machine out and have something you put over the hole?
Does anyone know a manufacturer who makes the acrylic table sized to your machine so that I can just router my hole and lay that in around the machine like the expensive companies do? My husband is not talented enough to get an exact cut out of my machine but he could do a square hole.
I have seen the rockler lifts but does anyone know where to get directions on how to install this on just regular table? I don't have a cabinet.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:54 AM

I have a well in my cutting table that I store my separate embroidery machine in and just sit it on top of the cutting table when I need to use it.
I made my own table using part of the hack at http://www.makeithandmade.com/2013/1...able-hack.html. I have an extension table on my machine and left it on there when I traced around the outside of the machine many, many, many times onto paper. Once I found one I thought would do, I traced it onto a 1/4" piece of plywood about 6" bigger than the template. I Had to adjust a few times but once I got one that was snug but not tight, I traced it onto the real wood. You can see I made a dozen lines to keep everything straight and to make sure I wasn't hitting anything on the underside. If I can do it I'm sure your hubby can! I made another table the exact same with no hole to put up to the end for bigger quilts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]516023[/ATTACH]

I didn't put a lift on mine because it was made specifically for this, I won't be removing the machine. I would think once you get a pattern for the hole, it would be easy enough to make a solid piece to put back in there to sit the machine on for embroidery, you'd just have to find a way to add removable pieces to sit it on in the hole. Maybe some 1" square dowel rods with brackets on either side to slide them in and out of. From the pictures and installation instructions on Rockler on the lift, you will either have to have a back or a bar/piece to attach the lift to.
Attached Thumbnails img_0125.jpg  
Old 04-06-2015, 08:14 AM

Great looking fit
Old 04-06-2015, 08:41 AM

My nephew cut hole in one my 6 foot utility table and put a board under neath holding it up with long screws and i set my machine in it I saved the cut out piece and put it back in the hole to do my board basting not so fancy but it works for me this is a hard plastic table from lowes I also ordered acrylic surround from person that makes them to fit your sewing machine this was a little pricy it fits my little featherweight and my 301 you can find it on bonnie hunters blog she uses one all the time the name of the acrylic surround is sewing mates

Last edited by sophia; 04-06-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I take mine out when I want to embroider. I usually just set it on the counter.
Sew Steady makes most of the acrylic inserts. If the table is big enough, you can just get one of their extension tables, and don't use the legs. This gives you the option to use the table stand alone. If you need a bit smaller size pick one of their inserts.
http://www.sewsteady.com/
Old 04-07-2015, 02:43 AM

Thank you for some useful information. Off to check out the links.
auntnana, your table looks great. What a wonder quilters are.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

I had a pressed board top with an opening cut so my old Bernina 1530 sits in my old Singer desk.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:37 AM

I looked around till I found someone selling an old desk..picked it up for around $35.00..it is just short of 5 foot long and works great as a sewing table, has 2 large drawers on the left side. Getting ready to cut the hole so I can drop my machine in and start sewing, have been using the desk ''as is'' so far. I do know if you use masking tape around the area you are going to cut and it will reduce ''splintering'' around the edges, once cut pull the tape off and smooth...
Old 04-08-2015, 06:38 AM

I am going to buy a table top and legs from IKEA. I will take the top and my machine into a local cabinet shop. A nice gentleman there said they would cut the opening, cut an plexiglass insert and get my machine all set up for less than $100 dollars. That is the way I am going to go.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:39 AM

Cjaneky, Masking tape or painters tape does help with tear out as does going a steady, consistent speed. The very best thing is to use a blade that is meant for the material you are cutting. Meaning don't use a blade meant for plastic on a wood desk or vice versa. The blades/teeth are made different and DO make a difference. Sounds like you got a good deal on the desk! Good luck!