Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Emergency!!! >

Sewing Machine Emergency!!!

Sewing Machine Emergency!!!

Old 12-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

I'm glad that worked for you. On most machines the clutch in the bobbin winder controls the feeddogs movement when winding the bobbin.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:06 PM

After 20 some years of using my Viking, I sat down to sew the other day and couldn't get the feeddogs to work. Long story short, I had been winding a bobbin and got interrupted the day before and that was the problem, the bobbin was still on the machine.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 PM

About 20 years ago I got fed up with my machine deciding December was the month for a break. I found a sewing machine repair shop and took it in. They did a complete tune-up, cleaning and basic repair for $15.00. If I had a problem in the next 12 months, they fixed it for free. The price is now $35.00, but worth every nickel. If my machine goofs up, they fix it that day for free! I take it in mid-January every year for the 2-3 day cleaning and service. I have never been left without my machine. I use it several hours of every day. Once the bobbin casing just fell out in my hand and they showed me how to fix it.

Surely there are other shops that do this kind of thing. I've found it to be a real lifesaver. Gwyn
Old 12-20-2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
I take it in mid-January every year for the 2-3 day cleaning and service. I have never been left without my machine. I use it several hours of every day. Once the bobbin casing just fell out in my hand and they showed me how to fix it.

Surely there are other shops that do this kind of thing. I've found it to be a real lifesaver. Gwyn
2-3 days!!!!! Wow!!! I took both of my machines in to a LQS to be cleaned, etc and she told me it would be 2 wks...maybe 3 wks. I said O.K. When 3-1/2 wks went by I called to see how much longer it would be and she said that she didn't know but that it was on "the conveyer belt" in the line of machines waiting :shock: :shock:. I took a trip out there the next day and collected my 2 machines and I think I will learn to clean them myself.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:02 AM

Sew glad you got it working again.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:38 AM

I never would have thought of the bobbin winder thing. But how wonderful that someone here knew, ( thanks BellaBoo). This board rocks!
I got a sidewinder bobbin winder, and I love it. It is sew much faster than using my machne.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Several years agoI took my sewing machine to the only repair shop in town. I needed a new foot control. After two days I called the shop and he said it was ready, all tuned up, cleaned and new foot control. I brought the machine home and it had not been cleaned, the power button had not been turned on and I had the old foot control! He charged me $125! I took the machine right back to him and showed him how I knew he never looked at the machine. He said oh, sorry. Here is your check. I walked out and called Better Business and told my guild members. A few months later the scumbag was arrested for selling drugs from his shop. How did I know he didn't do anything? I had an address label on the bottom of my old control foot, I had put a piece of tape over the power switch, and I put a cotton ball next to the bobbin case. I learn to always mark the original that needs to be replaced or repaired. I think most repairmen are honest but the bottom line means much more now then ever before.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Several years agoI took my sewing machine to the only repair shop in town. I needed a new foot control. After two days I called the shop and he said it was ready, all tuned up, cleaned and new foot control. I brought the machine home and it had not been cleaned, the power button had not been turned on and I had the old foot control! He charged me $125! I took the machine right back to him and showed him how I knew he never looked at the machine. He said oh, sorry. Here is your check. I walked out and called Better Business and told my guild members. A few months later the scumbag was arrested for selling drugs from his shop. How did I know he didn't do anything? I had an address label on the bottom of my old control foot, I had put a piece of tape over the power switch, and I put a cotton ball next to the bobbin case. I learn to always mark the original that needs to be replaced or repaired. I think most repairmen are honest but the bottom line means much more now then ever before.
You are a very clever gal!!! I think I'm going to do that when I take my machine in. The person who used to work at the shop I use died, which was tragic as he was amazing with sewing machines. The guy who took over is a jerk and I've been reluctant to take my machine in and have him clean it since he messed up my old Brother Featherweight (1957). Thank God a friend's husband is an engineer. He fixed it for free. (Gotta love that!!!) The thought of handing the repair shop man my very expensive Janome 6600 makes my stomach curdle, yet it's under warrenty and I know I need to do it. I'm going to use your trick and see what happens. Thanks for the great tip!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I love your way of thinking BellaBoo!!! I will do something similar when I take mine in :wink:
Old 12-20-2009, 04:22 PM

From Don-isewman1--I'm not going to say, I've had that much trouble, with my feed dog, but, I've had the feed dog on my viking replaced, cause, Jeff, who does repair service, at our material shop, here in Muscatine, told me that the fine teeth(grooves) does wear down after a long period of use. Hope this was of some use. Don