Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine Help please! >

Sewing machine Help please!

Sewing machine Help please!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:04 AM

;) to wildyard response
Old 08-20-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Aully
I got the machine last year for my birthday in March from my boyfriend Brian. It is from Costco, The make is Singer and model numer is 4166. You can not disable the start stop button you just use the foot pedal to sew instead. I have taken the bobin area all appart and cleaned it, I have not oiled it lately. Maybe it got tired of me using it for the 2 hours straight. lol! I don't have anything magnetic aroung my machine just metal which are my sewing scisors. I have looked on the Singer website and they don't even have my machine on it, nothing in the forums either. I will try calling the 800 number tonight. I have been so stressed out with this that I have been sick with a migraine ever since. :( Thanks everyone for all your wounderful replys.
sad to say, the ones from costco are numbered differently. they're still fine, but with different model numbers so even if you could email singer i doubt if they would know the real model number and it's hard to track down answers to problems. however, you'll never get an answer out of singer anyway. i'm still waiting for a reply to a message i left with them when i bought my garage sale find about three weeks ago. i vote for a repair man. it's always been my experience that no matter how simple it is, it costs more than it should, but what can you do? get an estimate first. sometimes you're better off putting the money toward a new one. especially if it's really frozen. btw, how come you're oiling a computerized machine? does it say that in the manual? just curious.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
btw, how come you're oiling a computerized machine? does it say that in the manual? just curious.
Butterflywing - I know, sounds odd doesn't it? But I have a Bernina 730 and it needs oil, but only in one place, the place where the bobbin fits and the stitch is formed...I think it is called the "hook" or something like that. Guess that is because there is a lot of movement of metal parts while forming the stitch. Go figure 8-)
Old 08-21-2010, 08:25 AM

I have always gotten a reply from singerco.com. They have been good to me like that.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Originally Posted by butterflywing
btw, how come you're oiling a computerized machine? does it say that in the manual? just curious.
Butterflywing - I know, sounds odd doesn't it? But I have a Bernina 730 and it needs oil, but only in one place, the place where the bobbin fits and the stitch is formed...I think it is called the "hook" or something like that. Guess that is because there is a lot of movement of metal parts while forming the stitch. Go figure 8-)
you're right. that's the one place. never in the machine in any of my machines.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:07 PM

The red light that you say is not coming on, does that indicate that there is an electrical current going to your machine. If indicates "power" and it is not coming on then it sounds like your machine is not receiving the electrical current.
Try plugging a blow dryer into the same plug as your machine is plugged into.
You may have blown a circuit...or a fuse. Or there may be something wrong with your foot pedal.
If you are able to hand turn your needle to go up and down then it sounds like all is intack in that department.
Sorry for you problems. I can not sew for a week but let my machine be in the shop and I have all kinds of projects that I want to work on.
Good luck..
Lynn
Old 08-21-2010, 01:25 PM

I think she said that the red light is blinking like crazy...but I will have to read through the back posts to be sure. Isn't it frustrating when something that new, should work but for some unexplained reason, just stops working? I would not have been so patient, I would probably have whacked it several times by now!
Old 08-21-2010, 03:14 PM

Yup Nursie...you are right the red light is stuck on. So much for that theory...
Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 PM

most of the machines today which have a computer screen only need oil in the bobbin hook.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:43 AM

Make sure the cord is pushed in tight to the machine and/or the wall. My hand wheel was hard to turn & it was not pushed completely in at the machine. Just a thought!