Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing machine I got, where can I get informantion?

Banned
    My aunt who is 66 this year gave me a sewing machine. The copyright on the manual says 1985 but when I've looked online people have bought it in the 90s. I don't know if she got it used or new, but she said she had it for at least 14 years which would indicate that 1985(23 yrs) isn't that far off.
    It is a singer 8606 and it works really nicely considering how old it is, and not being used for a while. There is a issue with the pedal, how and where could I get that replaced/fixed. Also, where would I be able to get more information on it? Here is a picture I found on craigs list, because its a big pain to get the camera....
    http://eugene.craigslist.org/for/897256372.html
    Thanks
    Emily

http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html at Singer lets you date them by serial number

can you buy that other machine and keep it for parts or as an extra?

this would be a cheap route the pedal will probably cost you more than $30.

Be sure to clean and oil it Emily. Enjoy yourself and make lots of pretty things :D

Banned
    Well, I was finally able to get it to work after threading it wrong a few times. Very complex to thread :roll: When I got it started, I was amazed, it sewed really nice for sitting for 3 years. I put it under a quilt that was tied, (I'm ripping out the stiches) because I'm going to quilt that thing someday, and it handled the layers really nicely. From what I've heard it sounds like a real work horse. Well, I'm going to make it be one!