Sewing Machine in the Junk Pile >

Sewing Machine in the Junk Pile

Sewing Machine in the Junk Pile

Old 08-28-2011, 10:01 PM

Looking forward to seeing pictures.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Picture? :D
Old 10-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Could you post a link to the instructions for dismanteling and cleaning you mentioned? I just got a model 15, too and need info on cleaning it up. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mcpatches
Could you post a link to the instructions for dismanteling and cleaning you mentioned? I just got a model 15, too and need info on cleaning it up. Thanks in advance.
Do a search on this board for cleaning vintage machines. There is three parts, disassembly, cleaning and a third part. It is by Lostn51. It is in the tutorials section. Good luck with your machine! We are still in the stage of finding replacement parts.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Oh - I'm sure you can! How exciting. What a wonderful project for the two of you. My DH and I love doing stuff like this, though they are far and few between.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Be sure you absolutely need to take it everything clear apart before you dis-assemble. Here is a link to a video that shows how to clean it up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bidpJ..._order&list=UL Muv is a member in England and there are more videos on her Utube. She does a wonderful job of fixing up her machines. All her principles apply to your machine. I recommend dis-assembling one section/part at a time rather than taking the whole machine down to bare bones for a complete kerosene soak unless you are planning to repaint the machine. It is a lot easier to re-assemble, too. There are repair manuals and owner manuals to help you with the details. Feel free to join us on the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm or just browse the vintage sewing machine section of this board http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013
Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 PM

If you follow Lostin51's instructions, you will have a beautiful machine afterward.

You will be amazed where dirt and junk are caked on.

Yuk! You need to get it out of every nook and cranny so the machine will function at it's best.

Many on here have done just that and are grateful for the time he took to do the tut. You will be too.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 AM
Power Poster

'Clear instructions on how to clean and oil a vintage sewing machine. Make sure you watch Part 2 for the end result. Provided the machine is not rusty and not damaged this is a straightforward job you can do at home using very basic equipment. Use metal polish on all the steel and chrome, but take care not to get the metal polish on the japanned areas or decals. The decals can wear off if you use chemicals, so they are best cleaned with a little sewing machine oil on cotton wool. This is a Singer 28K dating from 1900, so it is worth the effort.'

I quote from Muv's video write up. I watched all 9 videos she took the time to make. Very good information and yes, you can consider what she does a nice deep clean. If the machine is totally rusted out that is a different matter. I seriously doubt if the average person wants to dis-assemble the entire machine all at once and put it in kerosene soak. This can be achieved in smaller segments and the kerosene or the rust remover can be 'painted' on multiple times until it frees up a section of machine at a time. Much easier to re-assemble.

With the aid of a good manual it can be done a section of machine at a time.