Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine for little boy >

sewing machine for little boy

sewing machine for little boy

Old 11-14-2010, 11:09 AM

I would check out yard/garage sales. I have purchased a couple of older machines at them. Also, check out local auctions or second hand stores. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 AM

I just ordered a Brother 25-stitch XL 2600i on the WM website. Even free shipping to my home. For 86 dollars I'm pleased. he will be thrilled!!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Check Walmart or the like. Even some hardware stores carry good entry level machines. He doesn't need something fancy.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Power Poster

Joeysnana, When my 3 sons were little they were FASCINATED by my machine. I taught them all how to sew and they had fun! :D
Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 PM

I would check out a local sewing machine repair shop (look in the yellow pages or online if you don't already have one). Talk to the owner and see what they would recommend or what they have in stock.

They want to keep your business and would be the place to go for repeat sales and repairs as he gets older.

Personally, I prefer the older Singers (especially a Featherweight) which can be found in the $100 range with some checking of estate sales and friends. They have the advantage of keeping their resale value, having groups of folks available on the boards to ask questions when you get stumped trying to answer his questions, and most of the earlier machines are reasonably portable.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Power Poster

We have the mechanical Janome and also the Janome Gem Silver. I like both. My younger kids, 5 of them , use the Janome Gem silver and learn to quilt on it and I have also taught another young child on it. The Janome Gem Silver is more expensive I think but ours came with all the items for quilting. My 22 yr old learned on the mechanical Janome and so did my now 20 yr old DD. she is the one that now owns it. she doesn't want to part with it.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel
Don't get a mini, I've heard bad things like they aren't heavy enough so they bounce around a lot. I'd hate for his first experience sewing to be frustrating because of an inexpensive machine and he not continue this hobby. I'd go with something inexpensive but full size. Just something basics, I got my mom a brother from Walmart for about $100, its great for normal use. He can always upgrade when he gets older if he chooses.
About 3 Christmases ago I bought my oldest DGD (age 9) the mini Janome and it has been a great machine. I kept the girls the other day and Emily brought her little machine (she could have used mine) with her and she made herself pajama pants that day. (Her first from start to finish project with Grandma just guiding - no doing.)

A few months ago my DDIL used it to hem her new curtains and said it did great.

She's still packing it around in the original cardboard box. I should make her a nice tote/case for it. (Add it to the list!)