Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Maintenance? >

Sewing Machine Maintenance?

Sewing Machine Maintenance?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 AM

I have had my Elna sewing machine serviced twice since buying it in 1973. The first time was when my children were very young and they saw me oiling the machine, only problem was when they did it there was no more oil in the bottle so they filled it with water and "oiled" away. The second time was when it went in to have the cam stacker replaced. It has never skipped a beat in all that time.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I am hanging my head in shame I have had my Janome for 5 1/2 years and I have only taken it in once and that is because it was making a rattling noise. Turns out it was one of the set screws on the bottom of the machine that had come loose which is something I could have fixed myself. I keep it clean and dusted and I have never had any other issues with it ( I also sew on it 3-4 days a week)(hope I don't jinx myself!) The dealer accused me of opening the bottom of the machine because apparently set screws aren't supposed to "just come loose". I absolutely detest the Janome dealer that I purchased it from. They soured me within the first month of buying it from them so I refuse to give them any of my money. I won't even purchase fabric from them. We are planning an out of state move within the next 3 years so I will wait to purchase a new sewing machine until then. If something happens to my Janome, I have 3 vintage machines I can use and a Singer Quantum so I'm not worried!
Please don't judge the quality of the machine on the quality of the service (or lack of) that you received at your local shop. Janomes are excellent machines (well, I have had great service from my machine which is about twenty years old), The people that I purchased the machine from bent over backwards to see that I had great service. Even retired, they will ask me how my machine is holding up. When I have little problems, I will bring it to the shop where I purchased it, and the owners will call him. He picks up the machines and services it. I have had no major problems with the machine. But I do have it checked and cleaned, etc. periodically (but not yearly). IMHO, you just happened to get a bummer of a service person. Good luck on your move and your choice of a new machine shop.