Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine needles for quilting >

Sewing machine needles for quilting

Sewing machine needles for quilting

Old 11-17-2022, 10:55 AM
mkc

Spammer DeshVet reported. Do not click on the links.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:57 AM

Another Schmetz needle user here. The Schmetz needle I use is the HLx5 High Speed Art. 1842, size 90/14. My machine is a BabyLock Accomplice. It is a high speed, straight stitch machine. I usually by them from a couple of different quilting sites online as that's the only places (quilting shops or Schmetz themselves) where I can find them.

This was the needle recommended to me when I purchased my machine. I was told to make sure that whatever needle I used, if I didn't use this one, to make sure that it was a high speed needle.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:13 AM

mkc.....my Janome 1600P stitches at 1600 per minute.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:23 AM

quiltsfor...thank you for the information. I've used these needles before in my Janome 1600P, don't remember why I got away from them. I've ordered 2 pkgs of the 90/14 and one package of size 16. Two weeks before I can get them...guessing Amazon is super busy!
Old 11-18-2022, 07:37 AM

you can find Organ and Schmetz packages of size 18 here
https://www.sewvacdirect.com/
Old 11-18-2022, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
mkc.....my Janome 1600P stitches at 1600 per minute.
I agree with the recommendation of using a size 16 or 18 for quilting. It has nothing to do with speed, and there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't use that size on a DSM.

I've owned both a Janome 1600 and a Brother 1500, they're essentially the same machine. I started out quilting on the Brother and found that I needed a size 16 or 18 to avoid skipped stitches. THAT'S the reason why you need to use larger needles. Smaller needles will flex and skip picking up the bobbin thread. A 16 or 18 is large and thick enough that it won't flex as you're moving either the quilt on a DSM, or the sew head on a longarm. And as someone else stated, 18 is standard for longarming. When I bought my Innova longarm, my dealer included 100 Groz-Beckert size 18 needles, which is also what all of my longarm friends use. For those who fret about the size of the holes, if you've ever quilted "by check", chances are very very good your quilt was quilted with a size 18 needle.

You can buy the Groz-Beckert needles on Superior's website, longarm supply sites, and sometimes quilt shops (not box stores) will carry them.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:06 AM

Thank you Peckish...I'm going back and ordering the size 18 that you recommended. Amazon has the DB x1 #18 needles for $23 and change for 100 of them. I'm tired of pulling my hair out over skipped stitched when I quilt. it's going to be a long hard winter and I plan on doing a lot of sewing in my retirement.

Last edited by lindaschipper; 11-19-2022 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:05 AM

Linda, aren't DBx1 needles round shank? Both your machines instructions say to use a flat shank.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-19-2022 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:53 AM

I just looked at the Cross Reference Needle chart that I had downloaded a spread sheet from https://ismacs.net/needle_and_shank/...ce-charts.html They also have html rendered pages. The DBx1 has a smaller shank and is shorter both in total length and length to eye than the 15x1, which are now known as130/705. Unfortunately they do not list HLx5, but I'm certain that the dimensions are the same as a 15x1.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 11-19-2022, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I like Schmetz needles. I order from wawak webite and purchase boxes of 100. Last order, I indulged my creative/curious side and selected several specialty needles. The only one I haven't found useful is a needle with 2 eyes on it. Probably because I just go for it, and I need some technique advice for it.
I have used the double eye needle from Schmetz to do basting. Thread the top eye, set your machine on the blind hem stitch it can manage, and the machine will only make a stitch on the swing side, not the straight stitches. At least it works that way on my vintage Berninas, and I can’t think why it would be different on other machines.