Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine needles >

Sewing machine needles

Sewing machine needles

Old 08-06-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
"Superior threads" they have excellent info and videos on threads and needles. it is under the "education" tab.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/

great video on needles!
http://www.superiorthreads.com/video...titch-needles/
absolutly agree !!!!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Like Watterstide I use Superior Threads titanium needles 80/12, unless I'm working on lawn cotton or silk - then I use their 70/10.
Based on Bob Purcell's advice I now use the 70/10 when I'm using his Bottom Line thread in the needle.

I've already said this on a different thread - October 2009 is the last time I put a new 80/12 in, and my Bernina is sewing like it did when the needle first went in.

http://www.superiorthreads.com
so true titanium rocks !!!!!! I do change them every 24 hours of sewing time.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:49 AM

I just watched the video on needles. Superior needles (Topstitch and Metallic) are identical. Is this the same in Schmetz needles?Are the numbers the same? I get so confused. Help!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
I just watched the video on needles. Superior needles (Topstitch and Metallic) are identical. Is this the same in Schmetz needles?Are the numbers the same? I get so confused. Help!!!
The terms "Topstitch" or "Metallic" should all mean the same thing from company to company - the eye is a little larger than the same needle in a regular sharp. (Other needles suitable for the same functions are called "Large Eye," and "Embroidery")

As for the numbers, the "standard" domestic machine needle system is the 15x1, but it's also known as the 130, 705, 2020 and HAx1 - probably a lot more names for it out there.

The size numbers within a needle system should be consistent from one manufacturer to another - the diameter of a size 12 needle shank, its length, depth of scarf and distance from point to eye should all be the same for the 15x1 system needle no matter who makes it or what they call it.

Hope that's at least a little clearer than mud. ;)
Old 08-06-2011, 12:10 PM

i just ordered 2 packs of the superior threads titanium 80/12 top stitch,on ebay. $6.99 each plus $2.00 total for shipping. just try/get these, you will love them.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Organ Brand and Singer for my FW
Old 08-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
The terms "Topstitch" or "Metallic" should all mean the same thing from company to company - the eye is a little larger than the same needle in a regular sharp. (Other needles suitable for the same functions are called "Large Eye," and "Embroidery")

As for the numbers, the "standard" domestic machine needle system is the 15x1, but it's also known as the 130, 705, 2020 and HAx1 - probably a lot more names for it out there.

The size numbers within a needle system should be consistent from one manufacturer to another - the diameter of a size 12 needle shank, its length, depth of scarf and distance from point to eye should all be the same for the 15x1 system needle no matter who makes it or what they call it.

Hope that's at least a little clearer than mud. ;)
Thanks polyparrot. That sort of explains things. I'll have to try the different ones out even though I did pick up a bunch of Schmetz when they were on sale. Comparison is probably the only way to really know.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:38 PM

I agree with many of the others, #11 or 12 for piecing and quilting, buy whatever brand your machine recommends, or good quality. I change after about 8 hours of sewing, or if the machine gets noisy.(You can hear a dull needle, it sounds like a loud thunk with each stitch) Beyond that Jo Anns publishes an excellent pamphlet on needles, and uses, it is hard to find at my local store, but has a wealth of information.:)
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Dee

Klasse or Schmetz.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:46 AM

I got great Organ brand needles at a great price from the yahoo group called needlecoop. You do have to buy in bulk, which is why they can get great prices. If you can't use all the needles yourself, go together with friends to split the order and the cost.

I understand that lots of brand new sewing machines come with Organ brand needles already in the machine, including Janome.

needlecoop has all kind to choose from including Titanium. Check around for prices and then check them at needlecoop I think you'll be surprised.