Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine not stitching >

Sewing machine not stitching

Sewing machine not stitching

Old 06-26-2017, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes on my brothers the thread will slip out of the slot in the bobbin case. Try making sure you hold onto the bobbin thread for a bit. I don't usually touch either one of the tensions. Good luck. Please report back.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:57 AM

What size needle are you using? I don't really understand what you mean by "flap", but my first suspicion is that your needle is too small. When I piece, I use a size 11 or 12 needle. When I quilt, I have to go up to a 16 or 18, or the top thread won't catch the bobbin thread and I get nothing but thread laying on top like a dead fish.

Pictures need to be resized to less than 1 meg for uploading. Here are some how-tos that have been posted on that subject.

Preparing (Resizing) Photos For Successful Upload and Viewing
How to Upload (Post) Photos
Old 06-26-2017, 08:53 AM

Check to see that the needle is in correctly..especially if you just changed it. Happened to me after cleaning my featherweight...forgot and inserted the needle the wrong way.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I was having an awful time until Jim said try the little section by the feed dogs. It was completely clogged with lint. No problem after that.

Last edited by Boston1954; 06-26-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:01 PM

I googled your machine model and it's actually pretty similar to what I have, a Brother XR3420, on which I quilt too.

The other month I was having problems quilting and here's what I found worked for me. I used a 100/16 needle; I put my tension dial to '5'; (I was FMQ so I had my feed dogs lowered,) I used 30wt cotton quilting thread, and I focused on moving my quilt at a slow but steady pace. I also cleaned my bobbin case and under the feed dogs at every bobbin change; probably too often but I thought better safe than sorry! Funnily enough, the thing that really worked for me was that, instead of using the FMQ foot that came with my machine, I found my old FMQ foot from my previous Brother worked better. I think the spring on it was better and floated above the quilt "just right".

I found that the top stitch needle did not work for my machine at all, so each machine is differnt.

I hope you are able to fix the problems and don't need to take it in for a service! The last time I took a machine in, a singer, I got it back with the timing just as rotten. A waste of $65. That's when I said " forget it!" And bought my Brother Please let us know how it goes; I so feel you pain with quilting issues!! Been there, done that all too often!

And welcome to to the Board!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 01:25 PM

When I bought my Bernina, they recommended cleaning and putting a drop of oil on the bobbin area with every bobbin change. Its so habitual now that I clean the bobbin area of all my machines at every bobbin change. It only takes a minute. When I don't have something on the machine that I'm quilting, I always take the throat plate off the clean under it also.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:20 AM

So now you've messed with the tension, rethreaded the machine and cleaned all the lint out. Did you check that the feeddogs aren't full of lint, too? Now I'm wondering if the bobbin has been put in correctly. There is a right and left for that to turn as it should. Check your machine manual.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

Ditto on her comment and also hang on to both threads with atleast a 3-5 inch tail. After a couple stitches then let loose.
Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Sometimes on my brothers the thread will slip out of the slot in the bobbin case. Try making sure you hold onto the bobbin thread for a bit. I don't usually touch either one of the tensions. Good luck. Please report back.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:03 AM

All new machines tensions are set for poly thread at the factory. Even Berninas. The floor models have been set up by the dealer to use whatever thread the store uses. If you take one right out of the box, it's set for poly. Most machines sew fine on that setting. Changing tension is simple. Loosen or tighten as much as you need.

When my machine wouldn't sew I had the needle threaded backwards. I threading right to left instead of left to right. Drove me nuts until I realized what I was doing.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:56 AM

Sorry to hear you are having problems. One thing I thought of is if you are using quilting/darning foot to free motion quilt then you have to have the arm of it up over the needle bar. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about it should show a pic in your manual or you can google it. Hopefully you find a solution soon.