Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine purchase advice >

Sewing machine purchase advice

Sewing machine purchase advice

Old 12-15-2014, 01:03 PM

Default Sewing machine purchase advice

My old sewing machine is dying and I am looking to purchase a new machine and would love some advice. I will be using it mostly for making quilts. I have narrowed it down to a Janome 4120QDC or Bernina 350PE. Any suggestions or imputs? I looked at the Husqvarna but the dealer does not seem very reliable. I am relatively new to quilting and have made 6-8 so far.
Thank you!!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:20 PM

Test drive the machines. Take fabrics and batting and try them out. Ask lots of questions. The dealer is the one of the most important part of the sale. Your dealers should be knowledgable and be able to sit down and show you the machines. Do they offer classes (free with a new machine purchase or paid for used machine). Can they show you how to clean and do simple repairs. Do they have sales people who understand how to talk on the phone (if the sales people cannot talk you through simple question over the phone, will you have to travel there?). Is the warrenty through the manufacturer or through the dealer? Do they treat you the same if you buy a $500.00 machine as they do the $5000.00 purchaser, the $12,000.00? Are you welcomed into the store like a friend or as just someone who walked through the door? Buy the best machine you can buy with the money you have. Do some on-line research about both machines and don't be afraid to say you want to sleep on the deal. Get the deal in writing, it may not be the same when you return. Then negotiate again, never hurts to ask for extra machine attachments, thread, stabilizers, etc. good luck and enjoy whatever machine you decide on.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:01 PM

I agree test drive the machines and make sure there is a local dealer nearby who can give you lessons on the machine as well as periodic service if needed. Also, see what accessories come with the machines. I know Janome has a lot of feet that come standard with the machine. Bernina not as many, which then you must buy individually if you want them. I have 2 Janome and am very happy with both. My very first Janome is still going strong at my daughter's house.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:06 PM

If you don't need a whole lot of fancy, buy the best reviewed used machine that you can find. I could be wrong, but it seems like a good quality reliable machine is way out of my price range now. I have an older Elna and a Pfaff 7550. I don't do half as much sewing as I'd like to, but these two machines have everything I'll ever need and are very reliable. Good luck! Bet there are some good deals out there at this time of year. If you or a friend is a Costco member they have a very handsome Brother at what looks like a good price. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:05 PM

I second the recommendation to try both machines out. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another. Personally, I am a Bernina girl. A Bernina just feels better to me. That is not saying that it is better than another machine, just that it feels good to me. You will probably find one of the machines will feel "best" to you. That is the one you should buy.

Pam
Old 12-15-2014, 05:10 PM

Also check the availability and cost of any future accessories, bobbins, etc.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:13 PM

Out of those two, I would pick the Bernina. Really I love my Pfaff and the IDT. I gave up the Janome's when I had a hard time going through multiple seams, so I would take blocks that nest and try them out. I had the 3160 and the 7700 and to me they just didn't have enough power. I went back to Pfaff. For quilting, I love the IDT and can't give it up now. The Accufeed on the Janome just didn't cut it.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:13 PM

If you want bells and whistles, the Janome probably has more. If you want to sew denim on occasion, the Bernina is stronger. That Bernina 350 does come with the walking foot and Free Hand System, which are both very nice. I'd much rather service a Bernina over a Janome. The tolerances are tighter on the Berninas -- they're just a better made machine. The Janome drop-in bobbin is more convenient, but it's plastic. Compared to the Bernina's metal oscillating hook system, that doesn't jam when you sew heavy stuff.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:07 PM

I am a "Bernina Babe" for life because of its perfect tension and the great customer service I have had over the years.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:49 AM

The most important thing when you buy a machine these days is the dealer in my opinion. I have had Husqvarna/Viking, Bernina and Brother machines, all very good machine but I have travelled a lot and come across lots of dealers and they are certainly not all good and the same goes for the tech the dealer uses. An enjoyable journey with any machine is a knowledgable dealer with an instore tech. I also strongly agree with the lady who said that the dealer should treat you well whether you buy a $300 or a $3000 machine
Good luck with your purchase; hope you find THE machine for you
MagaQuilt