Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Savvy >

Sewing Machine Savvy

Sewing Machine Savvy

Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by leighway View Post
There is a lot of "slippery pricing tricks" in the sewing machine world. This is a video done by a man who wanted to buy his wife a Bernina...very informative and somewhat irritating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mNOoQkQ14s
Amazing. But interesting. I also wondered as I purchased my Janome Horizon 7700 for under 2K in 2010 while you all here were saying it was much more than that in the states. Usually it is the other way around, so I wasn't complaining, but it does make a person wonder.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by leighway View Post
There is a lot of "slippery pricing tricks" in the sewing machine world. This is a video done by a man who wanted to buy his wife a Bernina...very informative and somewhat irritating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mNOoQkQ14s
Very interesting video! He did a ton of research, didn't he? Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:29 AM

If this was mentioned, I missed it and I apologize. One needs to remember that when purchasing a TOL machine like a Babylock or Bernina you are also paying for the service and support of the shop you buy it from. You are not buying those from walmart or on line.

I want those stores to stay in business and I would rather pay a little more to them to help with that than supporting the huge conglomerates that drive every "little guy" out of business. So, I have a nice mix of vintage Singers, Babylock and Janome but I am sure that the others are all fine machines.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
My Daughter has that same Brother, she loves it. Like I just said there are no plastic parts. I have the Babylock Jane and a Juki TL98QE all three are pretty much the same machines - Price difference is what isn't the same. There are a lot of machine and thread snobs on this site. They act like they are getting a cut by running done ones that buy different machines and thread than what they have.
You have a great machine and will love it.
Maybe I am wrong but I have not read where anyone is running down the type of machine that someone else may have in their possession. Most of us buy what we can afford - whether it's a car or a sewing machine. If I can only afford a simple plain jane Chevy so be it. If I can afford a Lexus then I will probably buy a Lexus - that does not make me a snob. You must factor in ALL the aspects of machine buying, customer support, servicing, quality in the manufacturing process etc. I find your comment somewhat offensive to those of us who may or may not have a top of the line machine. This does not make anyone a "snob". If you are happy with your WalMart purchase (or wherever), good for you. Don't make off the cuff comments concerning other people & their choices.We all have different priorities & our choices will likely reflect that.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 AM

I agree.You get what you pay for.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:10 PM

Everybody's sewing machine is the BEST!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
If this was mentioned, I missed it and I apologize. One needs to remember that when purchasing a TOL machine like a Babylock or Bernina you are also paying for the service and support of the shop you buy it from. You are not buying those from walmart or on line.

I want those stores to stay in business and I would rather pay a little more to them to help with that than supporting the huge conglomerates that drive every "little guy" out of business. So, I have a nice mix of vintage Singers, Babylock and Janome but I am sure that the others are all fine machines.
Well said. Dealer support means a lot. I have a geat dealer who is always willing to work with me. I have never had a machine problem that they did not take care of. I have been with the same dealer since 1969. They always give a generous trade-in allowance when I buy a new machine (which has happened several times since 1969). I have been loyal to my dealer and they have treated me very well.

Having said that --- you need to buy what suits you. I have several different brands of machines and I like them all. I would love to own a Bernina, but they are definitely out of my price range. Maybe, if I ever go to the UK, I can buy one there. lol
Old 08-21-2012, 02:54 PM

I learned quite a bit from watching the video. I also agree that you may have to try a number of machines to find the one that works for you.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

I have the Brother 1500 ps and have taken the housing off to clean and oil it. It's metal.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:04 PM

I'd never heard of Bernina until I moved to a little bitty town in South Carolina and needed a new sewing machine ASAP. The only machine dealer within 70 miles was the local quilt shop that sold Berninas. I still have my Bernina, have had it 20 years so far, its a great machine.
I own several brands of sewing machines, with different bobbin systems. Some have the separate bobbin cases under the machine(class 15),others have a drop-in top loading bobbin. For FMQ (free motion quilting), I like the class 15 bobbin system; its easier to get consistent stitches.
I have a Viking Sapphire 875 that I finally learned to use for FMQ, it had a learning curve; this one has the drop-in top loading bobbin and tends to be fussy when it comes to threads. Most of my machines that I use for FMQ have the class 15 bobbin and don't seem to be picky about what threads I use.
This is just my experience and what works for me. My other machines are vintage Singer treadles,a Pfaff treadle and 2 electric Berninas and 1 Pfaff 1222E; all are mechanical, only the Sapphire is computerized.
Sharon W.

Last edited by purplefiend; 08-21-2012 at 06:12 PM.