Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine shortage >

Sewing machine shortage

Sewing machine shortage

Old 04-26-2020, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

I’m guessing next year there will be a glut of these machines at thrift stores and many of those dogs that got adopted will be sent back to the shelters when any semblance of normal life returns and people become “too busy”. I hope I am wrong.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
And I was just thinking that I need to look an newer machines now that my skills are expanding. My Bernina 830 Record is 40 years old. I love it, but I like to challenge myself. Watching the thread about new machine suggestions because I don't know where to start, other than Bernina or Kenmore(my first in about 7th grade).
You won't find any new Kenmores, they were Sears department store brand, and I think for most of their lives were made by New Home which became Janome. Lots of vintage Kenmore lovers here though.
As my skills improved I noted features I liked about the machines used on the PBS sponsored quilt shows in the 80's. So I had a wish list when I started going to the shops and test driving. It also gave me time to save up and pay cash. I like to own what I bring home Happy shopping journey.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:10 AM

Location: Savannah, Georgia, USA; originally from southern Connecticut

I belong to two different Facebook groups that are sewing masks to donate for free to those working on the front. People are working through their stash, making masks, and giving them away for free. Yes, sewing machines are difficult to find right now but not impossible. Since many stores are temporarily shut down, one needs to shop online and have the machine shipped...ugh! and shipping is delayed because so many people are doing their shopping online for everything including groceries.

It's exciting to see that people, both young and old, are sewing for the first time and yes, we hope they will continue to sew after the pandemic has ended. Several people have resurrected old sewing machines that had been in attics, basements, storage, etc. and are cranking out masks. Some are recruiting their spouse, children, and anyone nearby to assist. My guess is that we will have tons of new sewists, makers, quilters, etc.

There is discussion now, looking toward the future, about what to do with all the small scraps of quilter's cotton that will be left after the mask making has ended. We may be seeing quite a few very crazy quilt blocks happening in the coming months.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:13 AM

My 301 is currently next door being used by the neighbor. Matt has a mostly construction type background, he's been out of work for awhile now, his shoulder was surgically repaired (again). His wife is still working from home, her mom lives with them and has a bunch of health issues, including dialysis.

Anyway, I offered the use of a machine and fabric and some basic instruction so they could make masks, and Matt is having a lot of fun with the sewing machine! I told him the line I think I got from Leonf here, sewing machines are power tools with needles! He liked that and thinks maybe he is finding a new hobby/interest/something to do, his homies can tease him all they want but he rather likes this sewing stuff
Old 04-26-2020, 06:22 AM

A friend of mine was asking about a machine recommendation on FB as the big box stores are sold out even online. Her price range was $200. My advice was to look for a vintage machine like a Singer 301, 401, 404 or 500. Any of those would be a better and stronger machine than the inexpensive models anyway.
Sewing Machines Plus still had some in the $350 range at the time. With production world wide being affected, it could be a while before stock is back.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Wow, I hadn't heard this but it makes sense.
I never dreamed I would love sewing so much. I never sewed a stitch until after my oldest son was born. I had no interest, ever!
But I got the idea in my head that I wanted to learn how to sew. So glad I did.
I'm the only one on both sides of my family who sews. My Mom was a knitter. None of my other relatives did anything with a sewing machine.

So guess who's making all the masks for family? haha

One DIL does sew though so I'm not totally alone in this. I hope to teach my sweet granddaughter someday. (her Mom doesn't) I taught all my boys how to use my machine when they were little and they had fun with it.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 04-26-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:38 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Matt has a mostly construction type background

<snip>

Anyway, I offered the use of a machine and fabric and some basic instruction so they could make masks, and Matt is having a lot of fun with the sewing machine! I told him the line I think I got from Leonf here, sewing machines are power tools with needles! He liked that and thinks maybe he is finding a new hobby/interest/something to do, his homies can tease him all they want but he rather likes this sewing stuff
If he's a car guy at all, suggest he pay attention to what some of the upholstery guys do on those car restoration shows. They do beautiful work. If he's into boats, sails and upholstery there as well. Heck, any custom upholstery work. Into gaming and cosplay? Lots of creativity in sewing the outfits.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:46 AM

I have always had at least one extra machine. RIght now it is a straight stitch Singer 185J that is under my sewing table while I use my new Singer heavy duty (can't remember the number). At one time when I had a house, we had over a dozen "extra" machines. People tend to give you machines when they know you sew!.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:51 AM

I think the mask making is opening up a whole new world for Matt! He likes putting stuff together anyway, fabric is just different stuff. Sometimes I refer to my quilting as a form of making big puzzles

Hubby and I were talking about this some last night, he feels bad that "he doesn't do anything" as in -- "well, you quilt and other people do this and that". I told him he was selling himself short, that he has learned about mushrooms among other things enough to forage and trust eating them -- which is not a skill I possess! (I let him try stuff first and then I wait a day or two, we always keep left overs "just in case"). He does all sorts of things, he just doesn't have one consuming passion (but bowling comes pretty close so far as I can tell!).

But I think each of us has a talent. Some of those talents are small and humble, like maybe you can make a really great peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Doesn't sound like much until you see me tearing the bread with a lumpy mound of peanut butter with too much jelly seeping through.

Some of us have to search hard for our talent, if you grow up in the inner city how can you possibly know that you have the potential to be the best bull rider out there??

Not all talents come easy, for some writers every word is a struggle.

But if we expose ourselves to new things, if we are willing to work at achieving our goals, we can find our bliss.

Some of us find it while sewing...

Old 04-26-2020, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom- is Matt your son?

I hope and pray my husband never gets the urge to sew lololol
Do not want to share my sewing treasures with him! If you saw him in the kitchen
you'd understand hahaha