Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine shortage >

Sewing machine shortage

Sewing machine shortage

Old 07-02-2020, 07:47 AM

Here in Southern CA many dealers have good deals on machines. I decided my 30 year old Juki serger could be replaced. It was a workhorse, but threading was complicated. Gave it to a friend who was delighted and I'm delighted with my new Babylock Celebrity.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:04 AM

I have 3 sewing machines. A Janome 15000 and Juki HZL-H600 are both needing repairs. I have a Singer 301 that is 65 years old that is my go to machine. I oiled it and it is sewing like a champ. I wouldn't trade it for any newer machine.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

The only shortage I've seen here is at Walmart and Joann's. The Brother dealer is out of the Luminaire machines. Sold all she had and those are the most expensive being around $15,000 now. And the trade ins for the new ones are high end machines to begin with and they are for sale at very reduced costs. Said her shop has made more profit in the last few months then all of last year.

She had a delivery of low priced machines come in right before the shutdown, getting ready for summer classes for beginner sewers. . She quickly bundled them with a mask making kit to make 25 masks. All those machines sold in a matter of days.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-02-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
My 301 is currently next door being used by the neighbor. Matt has a mostly construction type background, he's been out of work for awhile now, his shoulder was surgically repaired (again). His wife is still working from home, her mom lives with them and has a bunch of health issues, including dialysis.

Anyway, I offered the use of a machine and fabric and some basic instruction so they could make masks, and Matt is having a lot of fun with the sewing machine! I told him the line I think I got from Leonf here, sewing machines are power tools with needles! He liked that and thinks maybe he is finding a new hobby/interest/something to do, his homies can tease him all they want but he rather likes this sewing stuff
Tell him to look on YouTube for the Quilting Marine.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
My 301 is currently next door being used by the neighbor. Matt has a mostly construction type background, he's been out of work for awhile now, his shoulder was surgically repaired (again). His wife is still working from home, her mom lives with them and has a bunch of health issues, including dialysis.

Anyway, I offered the use of a machine and fabric and some basic instruction so they could make masks, and Matt is having a lot of fun with the sewing machine! I told him the line I think I got from Leonf here, sewing machines are power tools with needles! He liked that and thinks maybe he is finding a new hobby/interest/something to do, his homies can tease him all they want but he rather likes this sewing stuff
Tell him to look on YouTube for the Quilting Marine.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like perhaps a regional issue. Our sewing centers here have plenty of machines available and sales all the time. Even our Joannes has a good supply of machines.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:38 AM

Default Regional shortage

You are probably correct. I live in AZ. Our big box stores have been wiped out of sewing machines, fabric, notions for 2 months. Luckily we have a couple of quilt shops that still have fabric. They say it's getting harder to order certain lines and colors though. Crazy times. Good thing my stash is holding up.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:10 AM

It's not just a shortage for machines, what is available have some insane markup prices. I've been keeping an eye on a Brother (CS6000i) on Amazon for a while, when I checked it at the beginning of December, it was only $160, when I checked just last week, it is now listed for $430 with the newer CS7000i listed at $425 and they're not the only ones that did a huge increase. I'm actually afraid to look at the Singer I've been keeping an eye on.

The last time I was physically out in public was December 10th, that was to pick up some groceries and finally pick up my Dressmaker from my service guy. I've got it and a mini-machine that I switch back and forth on, depending on my mood, but when I saw the pandemic coming down the pipe, I picked up some extra brushes for cleaning my machines and I'm waiting for new needles, bobbins, a snap-on foot adapter and an open toe embroidery foot for the Dressmaker, they'll be here Monday. I also finally found a manual for my Dressmaker, I'll get that in the middle of the month, but the only thing I forgot to pick up was an extra bottle of oil. At least now that I'll have a manual for my main machine, I can finally start correctly cleaning and oiling it when it comes time.

I'm glad I've got the machines that I do and I'm doubly glad I picked up some extra supplies. A few months from now when people need needles, bobbins, thread, etc. to maintain their machines, my gut says the prices will go up on those items, too. I'm not going to hoard sewing machine supplies, but I do intend on picking up what I can and will continue to do so until the prices go up. New silk pins, more needles and thread for general supplies, then a couple of rulers, a new cutting mat and maybe the templates for the mini double wedding ring for quilting are already on my shopping list for next month.

Have to look at it this way, ladies, we may be in a sewing machine shortage now, but when this pandemic is over (and they always end), there are going to be garage sales again and you can bet, some will have sewing machines, especially when they find out just what it is going to entail to get them serviced. Until then, make extra efforts to clean, oil and love on our machines, troubleshoot our own problems, continue to quilt and just hold on.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:23 PM

My LQS seemed to have plenty of Janomes when I was there recently.

I wonder if any of my vintage machines would sell now? Marketplace, here I come.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I was looking at Bernina machines the other day at ebay. Actually, I was looking for a new stitch plate for my aurora 440 bernina and they showed up too.) I was surprised to see a record 830 going for around 900 dollars. You must really enjoy having such a workhorse in good condition. They are a great machine, but really?

I was able to find the zig zag foot stitch plate and buy it from someone who seems to be selling all of their sewing extras. A wonderful thing because the Quilt store said the factory in Chicago might be shut down from COVID. and the plate could be a long wait for it to arrive.

I somehow have four machines on hand now. Two Berninas and two Singers. I think I am good! LOL!
Waving ..long time no chat-hope all is well aka dee fox

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-06-2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps