Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine shortage >

Sewing machine shortage

Sewing machine shortage

Old 07-07-2020, 08:35 AM

Meh, it's here too (NS, Canada). Sewing machines, deep freezers, generators, etc.

It's just stupid humans being......well, stupid humans. If there's one thing you can always bank on, it's that the human animal is always going to be panicky, greedy and egocentric when things go "T's" up.

My 6 domestic vintage machines (Kenmore 1580, 60's White rotary, Singer 319W/328K, an early 70's Kenmore free arm and a "plastic era" Singer 247) and my one vintage industrial (singer 331k105) are quite happy sitting in my nice, warm clean office/craft room. Not much one of the new computerized plastic fantastics can do that I can't using these old hacks. Or at least, nothing that I need/want/care to do....

I always have a little giggle when I see someone tuck one of those new plastic wonders under their arm and headed to the cashier. Overpriced and under engineered. My 50/60's machines just keep humming right along and it helps that I paid less all together for my 99% metal vintage machines than I would for something made of 90% plastic. Also doesn't hurt that anyone can work and time my old vintage machines (I do my own work) when they slip or come out of time.

Last edited by great white; 07-07-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:10 AM

What a interesting thread!! I know last April when I went to a Walmart in central Illinois, I was shocked to see how little fabric there was on the shelf, and no elastic in site! And now I am reading how sewing machines are becoming scarce! The explosion of art that will come out of this mess!! I have made a ton of mask, as well as other projects in the 2.5 months since I have been laid off. My first masks were very generic and functional, now I'm starting to make some fancy ones, simply put, I have the fabric, the technology and the elastic to make them, I'm on it. A 40 plus year stash of fabric, thread and machines can make a ton of mask!
Old 07-07-2020, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Some of the new plastics are quite durable.

And some metal rusts to nothing but crumbs.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:49 PM

It's fun reading this thread to see how people think and feel. Our local quilt shop is starting to get machines in again. They received the BabyLock Brilliant, which they weren't expecting until the end of August. They said that is one of their most popular sellers. The Jubilant is supposed to be back in September but could be sooner.
It's probably for the best that I had a cooling off period after my electronic machine froze up. I've been learning to appreciate my mechanicals more and more. My Singer Fashion Mate 237 actually has 6.75" of throat space! My Brother only had about 5.5". My Janome jw5622 has 6.5" of throat space. One day, a Brother PQ1500SL might come home with me, but not until prices go back to normal. One place I looked at jumped about $300 for the Brother. Supply and demand.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:14 PM
Power Poster

That's a lot of money to invest in mask making!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:56 PM

I think a lot of the lower priced machines came out of china and their factories probably shut down..as for everything else, I would guess that at least 1 component of everything, (sewing machines, freezers, etc) is probably made in china..so here were are.If you think about everything in your house from phones to stoves to electronics, all or part of it has to come from china..same with our cars..if we don't get this pandemic under control it's going to mean a shortage of many, many things.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:54 AM

I have been trying to purchase a Singer Heavy Duty 4452 for two months. I can purchase it from "different sellers" on Amazon but the cost is about $250 more. Singer website does not have any and JAF doesn't either. I have a Viking that I replaced the feed dog 2 quilts and 175 donated masks ago and it is acting like the feed dog is giving out again. I just want to have a second machine. We purchased the Heavy Duty for our elementary after school program at the recommendation of our County 4-H and they have been wonderful. Yikes!!

Last edited by Reader1; 07-15-2020 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:30 PM

Our local sewing machine shop got in Babylock Brilliant ahead of schedule and are hoping the Jubilants will come in August. They had been told September!

So hang in there. Looks like supply is catching up to demand.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Reader1 View Post
I have been trying to purchase a Singer Heavy Duty 4452 for two months. I can purchase it from "different sellers" on Amazon but the cost is about $250 more. Singer website does not have any and JAF doesn't either. I have a Viking that I replaced the feed dog 2 quilts and 175 donated masks ago and it is acting like the feed dog is giving out again. I just want to have a second machine. We purchased the Heavy Duty for our elementary after school program at the recommendation of our County 4-H and they have been wonderful. Yikes!!
Have you tried SewingMachinesPlus.com? They have free shipping on the Singer 4452.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:19 PM

I did notice the price increase on Amazon. The Brother PQ1500 went from $500 to 950. Months back, walmart had them for $300.