Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine >

sewing machine

sewing machine

Old 09-10-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
A good basic Janome.... good workhorse!!
I agree with Coventry. Janome is the way to go.

Lori
Old 09-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Look at fabric stores to see if any are on sale. Most basic machines are pretty good and if it is on sale it is even better.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:25 AM

I think a Janome 760 would be a good choice. It is a light machine 12lbs but has several stitches. It is my traveling machine.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by jfowles
My son and daughter in law want a basic sewing machine for Christmas, mostly to do mending but if they like it I think they may do more with it. What are your suggestions for a good, not too expensive, not alot of whistles and bells, dependable machine. I have and love my Bernina and am not going that pricey. I've looked at a lot of Brothers, the price range is huge and I have no idea which is better than another and why. I was also thinking of a Janome. Ant suggestions would be very helpful, I don't know where to start and this board has a wealth of sewing machine experience. Thanks in advance.
Bernina has very basic machines. I bought one for a house warming present for my dau. and she loves it. It does everything she knows how to do. Very basic and under $150.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:50 AM

Depending on what they may be mending, I'd still consider a Bernina. Many dealers will have some good used ones as people buy the new line that was just released and as others make holiday purchases.

My Bernina can sew though anything. Several layers of denim, no problem. There just aren't that many machines out there that will do that without getting hung up.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:55 AM

I am on a small Caribbean island - read no machine type support - and teach young people to sew and more importantly quilt. I have bough the Brother Project Runway refurbished machines for them to use. They work beautifully and many quilts have been made on them. I bought them from Amazon.com for about $120 with free shipping to our US drop location so reasonable if you are in the US. For myself I can't beat a Janome or Kenmore (made by Janome).
Old 09-10-2011, 07:55 AM

I would recomend a Janome(workhorse) or a used Bernina.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:24 AM
T.

I agree with the support (locally) and that Sears backs their mechandise/ products. I have used nothing but Kenmore. Last year I got a warranty replacement for the Kenmore, and when I got home, realized that it was made by Janome. I had the other machine for 28 years, and the head is guarranteed for 30 years, but I couldn't get it to do the zigzag stitch. It was electronic, and apparently something in the head that was not fixable so they just gave me a new one. I didn't buy the most expensive machine in the 80's, but it was very good for the time, so they told me pick whatever I wanted.

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
go get a Kenmore! Seriously, they are made by the same folks that make Elna & janome and you get better service/warranty on them. sears carries all sorts of feet, etc. Do you homework and research the Kenmore machines..there are many out there that are superior to the so called quilting machines...after all, a sewing machine is meant to last, the modern quilter will go thru 3-4 machines in 10 years trying to find the PERFECT one....
Old 09-10-2011, 08:43 AM

Start at Brubakers for a slightly used Janome, first. Check Allbrands.com. Both places you will not pay sales tax and sometimes no shipping...Brubakers is great with service. Before discovering Brubakers, I purchased machines from Allbrands,...never a problem with them....much prefer Brubakers...wonderful staff.
D in TX
Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 AM

Janome is the one. I have a 750 that I love. I take it to classes and retreats. Great first machine.