Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Sewing Machine?? >

Which Sewing Machine??

Which Sewing Machine??

Old 12-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Buy what you like; however, the Janome will do what you expressed when you are going to fast; e.g. pulling the material instead of letting the machine pull the material for you. This is a huge feature of the Janome brand. Let the machine do the work for you. Thanks, GG
Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

nterestingly I have a cheap Brother from Sam's, under $100, got it over 5 years ago. It is a mechanical machine and I haven't had the first bit of problem with it. It will FMQ and does a good job with the straight stitch. It stitches fur, fleece, flannel, etc.with no problems. Got another cheap Brother from WalMart to keep at my daughter in laws house so when I visit I can "whip up" things for them. It has sewed just fine right out of the box. I wonder if they will quit on me tomorrow just because I am giving them praise! I also have a Singer I got in 1965 which works fine, but doesn't have an automatic needle threader, and an older Elnita I got for $10 at a garage sale which sews fine, but is hard to thread. Maybe I'm just lucky with these cheapy machines, so I guess it all boils down to personal preference as long as we are happy with our machines, right?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:12 PM

On my Janome, I have to crank that tension up to about 8 for some quilts. When I first tried it out they said I could use the auto setting but that didnt work for me. I suggest if you really liked the Janome just go back and play with it some more and dont be afraid to crank it up!!! :D
Old 12-23-2009, 04:36 AM

I have the Ellisimo, BabyLock and it has many wonderful features = self threading, option to use the quilt foot up, needle down feature, great lighting, includes almost all the feet that you could need and BabyLock is including a special until the end of the year extendable table, thread stand, 82 embroidery designs, endless hoop. The machine is very user friendly. Good luck in your search. For your moneys worth I would go BabyLock
Old 12-23-2009, 05:00 AM

I have a Viking, a Pfaff and 6 months ago purchased a Janome 6600. If I could keep only one machine it definitely would be the Janome. It is a real workhorse!! I have sewn everything from upholstry to a silk blouse and been able to do beautiful free motion with it. (Use Organ needles and a lighter weight ~60 for bobbin.)
Old 12-23-2009, 05:39 AM

I have had my Viking for 20 years, it has NEVER been in the
shop (hope that doesn't jinx it) and I LOVE it. I want a new
machine but definitely don't need one, just the thrill of having a
new one I guess, but if I get one it will be another Viking. I also
have an inexpensive Brother to lug around (not crazy about it) I
have a cheapy Singer and an expensive New Home (now Janome) but my favorite is the Viking.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:48 AM

I have a brother's & Love it, it is my 3rd in 30yrs & all I did was up grade!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:48 AM

I have a brother's & Love it, it is my 3rd in 30yrs & all I did was up grade!
Old 12-23-2009, 09:32 AM

While at the local Pfaff dealer I inquired about the latest model. He said since Pfaff has been purchased by another company he will no longer endorse Pfaff. The machine is being made with cheaper plastic parts that are very expensive to replace. I have a Pfaff 1044 that has tension problems which they can't seem to correct long term. It's also very noisy, moreso after I got a hearing aid.
He carries Bernina exclusively.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by lady.quilter
So, I have been saving for several months and I just got an incredible Christmas bonus. So now I get to go shopping for a new sewing machine! Yay! But which one?

I looked at the Bernina 430. It was alright. The way it sewed felt a little 'heavy' for some reason. It just didn't seem to glide for me. But it had a lot of features, but all the 'quilting' features were extra - the extended table, walking foot, clear or open toed darning foot, etc. I did like this one because it was upgrade-able. If I wanted the stitch regulator at a later date, I could add to it. Or I could add the embroidery functions as well. But it seemed like it was one of the more expensive machines for the least amount of extras.

I looked at a Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0. I really didn't like the way this one sewed. So I have kind of thrown this one out the window. It had some nice features, but it just didn't feel right.... lol

I looked at a Janome 6600. This one is sold at the LQS, so of course that is the one I have heard about the most. Everyone seems to love it. But when I did FMQ, the back looked awful with the feathering (is that what it is called?) around the curves, where the top thread pulls around and makes the loops look funny. Hope that makes sense. When I had borrowed a friends Janome DC when my Brother was in the shop, I had the same issue throughout the entire FMQ. I had played with tensions and speeds, and just thought that it was because it wasn't a top machine. But then after I got my Brother back, I never had that problem again.... This machine had a LOT more features than any of the others I looked at, and all the feet were included, and there is a sale going on until Christmas eve that includes a sewing table cabinet for the machine. So the price and extras are right....

I then looked at a Viking Sapphire. I really liked this one. I liked the way it did free-motion and I liked the feel of the sewing. I liked the large throat. And I loved the hands free feature that you used with the peddle, not a knee press. I liked the feature that every time you stopped sewing, the needle went down and the foot came up automatically, so you could rotate the fabric without have to do a thing. It came with a great darning foot and an applique foot, but the walking foot was extra. The sales lady said she would even throw in the extended table. I also loved the automatic sensor that adjusted tension and foot pressure for you, but you could also manually adjust these tensions

So I guess my question to you all is, which ones do you prefer and why? The sales lady for the Viking thought that the Janome wasn't powerful enough. She didn't even think that a Janome was in the same playing field as the other three brands, because of the different type of motors. But then the LQS sales lady had NOTHING good to say about the Viking or Pfaff. She kept going on and on about the reliability of the Janome and how she knew that the Viking & Pfaff machines were always in the shop, 'every 3 to 4 months' she said.... So, is that true? have you Viking owners found that your machine is in the shop a lot? That you have issues with it? The Janome sales lady also said the she had less issues with specialty threads with the Janome than with any of the other machines she had owned. Have you found that to be true?

I really liked the Viking the best, but I don't want to purchase a machine that I will later regret. Also, all the classes are at the LQS and I kind of feel like a betrayer if I don't get a Janome. But the fact that the FMQ on the Janome could be a struggle is a HUGE drawback. I wonder if I would ever find the right combination and practice to not make the feathering happen? I have only been doing FMQ since this summer, but have loved it. And I have not had this problem on my Brother since the first week. But I was never able to cure it on the Janome that I had borrowed. Have any of you ever had this issue with a Janome and not with some other brand?

Thank you thank you for all your input!
I would go with the one your heart tells you to buy :) , but FYI if you decide on the 6600 they have a new foot and bobbin case just for FMQ. :thumbup: Good luck and Merry Christmas.
LOL Liz