Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Sewing Machine?? >

Which Sewing Machine??

Which Sewing Machine??

Old 12-22-2009, 09:14 AM

Well done, I have the Bernina 153QE which I think is a U.K. machine and love it. I don't think I would be swayed away from Bernina again, at least not unless somebody came up with an amazing alternative - Although would love an embroidery module type machine too!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:21 AM

I have a Bernina Mini Matic. I bought it in 1974!
In 25yrs it's been serviced twice. Both times the service guy offered to buy it.
It has a very small throat and no bells and whistles but I love it.
Perhaps, as an option, a second hand Bernina would provide good value and reliability.

My dream machine is an old Singer treadle.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:31 AM

Go for the Viking!!!! I have an older one and absolutely love it and my friend just bought the Sapphire and she quilts all the time plus does alterations for people. It is an absolute gem of a machine.
I have never had an ounce of trouble with mine and it is a computerized machine and is 14 years old and I use it all the time. I love the feel and how it performs.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:47 AM

Before buying, consider service. Does the store do it's own service - or send it out. My Viking store sends it out, and only has a pick up once a week. So a broken machine can sit for a week, before it is even picked up. (I've been without mine for over a month waiting for parts) Also I've noticed several stores - in my area, and over the internet, that is dropping the Viking dealships, and going to Bernina. I don't know why - but I'd find out before I buy a machine.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:10 PM

I have a Pffaf - it's several years old. Has been in the shop only once. I also have a Bernina 440 - it came with the BSR, walking foot, extended table and some other extras. I love both machines. I also have a Baby Lock Audrey for travel & classes. Sounds like you're having a great time looking!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:23 PM

I'm on my second viking. The first was a Viking 6570 (probably 30 years old) and now I have a Sapphire 830. I love it. It just sews and sews. I have had it a year and no problems at all.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 PM

The Viking Sapphire is a GREAT machine.

There are many great machine makers on the market.

Viking is one of them. I have upgraded through 4 machine levels with Viking and Sapphire was my favorite computer-aided machine.

It never went into the shop for repairs or fixing.

I sew daily. I sewed every kind of fabric and project on a Viking Daisy for five years before I even took it in for a tune-up. I only tuned it up to trade it in for the computer gizmo bells and whistles machine.

I have done extensive sewing with Kenmore, Janome, White and Viking machines. They all have their good points.

Every machine that is badly used can be made to go in for repairs often. Please keep that in mind.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 PM

12 years ago I started out with a Kenmore & I loved it. Then I bought a used Bernette Deco for embroidery. Then I bought a Brother PQ1500s for free motion quilting & love it, too. Unfortunately my sewing room isn't big enough to keep all three out at the same time, so I was always putting one on the floor under my sewing table.

I decided to replace all three with one machine that does everything. I shopped around a lot before finally deciding on a Viking, because it had everything on my list of must haves, almost everything on my wish list & I thought it was more affordable than the comparable Bernina. I just got it last week for my birthday & I love it!!!

If you buy from a Viking dealer they come with classes, too. Whatever you decide on, enjoy it!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:34 PM

I just bought a Viking Saffire and I LOVE it.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:54 PM

i have sewn primarily on Bernina and Viking. My bernina is a work horse, and my Viking has all the bells and whistles as you describe. For machine quilting, i have to say I love the viking. Those conveniences are so great. Once you get used to them, it's hard to give them up. (like an automatic garage door opener, tv remote, or GPS...you know?) I think you will be happy with whatever machine you select, given those mentioned, but if you sit down at that Viking and it feels like a "fit" then i would go with it.

Merry Christmas,
Lisa