Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Sewing Machine?? >

Which Sewing Machine??

Which Sewing Machine??

Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 AM

I bought the Sapphire 830 when it first came out. No problems with it at all. Have had it serviced once just because I thought I should. It is a great machine, just wish I had bought the 850 for the embroidery but could not afford it.
I love the large throat area and the needle down with pop up foot. Wish it had a stitch regulator is all.
Bernina is just to expensive.
I have not had to adjust the thread tension when free motion quilting.
By the way, how much do they want for it? I paid 1100 for mine when it was new.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Bernina is just to expensive.
By the way, how much do they want for it? I paid 1100 for mine when it was new.
Oh, please don't think I'm made of money just because I said I have two Berninas, lol. In fact, my two cost less than your one machine. I learned early on to buy used Berninas. My 730 Record from the early 60's is still going strong and in excellent condition according to the technician and store owner. I purchased her in 94. Just this year I had the opportunity to buy a 1090 with many more bells and whistles, from the 90's. Likewise, she's in excellent condition and both provide me hours of reliable service and joy. Hence their slogan, "Nothing sews like a Bernina, nothing." Each to their own of course.

Karla in CO
Old 12-21-2009, 10:59 AM

I say Janome all the way!! But I am biased...its the only one Ive had!!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:27 PM

So, went and tried out the Viking Sapphire and Bernina 430 again today. Spent 30 minutes with the sales lady AND tech guy and still couldn't get the bobbin tension to be correct so that no loops appeared on the top while FMQ. So that did it. The Bernina is the ONLY one that I didn't have any problems with it, after sewing on it multiple times. I also got a few accessories, that would have come with the Janome and Viking. So spent $290 more than either of these, but am very happy with the sewing. As my DH said, this is something you will be spending a lot of time on. Better to spend a bit more money and enjoy it, rather than being frustrated a lot of the time. So yay! And THANK YOU all for your help!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by lady.quilter
The Bernina is the ONLY one that I didn't have any problems with it, after sewing on it multiple times. I also got a few accessories, that would have come with the Janome and Viking. So spent $290 more than either of these, but am very happy with the sewing. As my DH said, this is something you will be spending a lot of time on. Better to spend a bit more money and enjoy it, rather than being frustrated a lot of the time. So yay! And THANK YOU all for your help!
Congratulations on your new Bernina!!

:thumbup: :D I'm sure she'll give you years and years of wonderful service. There are a variety of on line Bernina sites where you can gain knowledge from others about your machine to help you learn to use it to it's potential. Here is one in particular for owners of 430's:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/430_44...40_730/summary

Here is Bernina's official site with a brand new community and a blog:

http://www.berninausa.com/search_projects.jsp

Here is another:

http://www.berninacentral.com/forum/

Of course, lessons through your dealer will go a long way to assist you in learning all about your new machine. Have fun and keep us posted. I'm SO excited for you!!!
:thumbup:

Happy sewing,

Karla in CO
Old 12-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

Oh, I love my Bernina 1230! I haven't dared look at the newer Berninas, but I bet they are very nice too. My Bernina hums and purrs, sews and quilts beautifully, and never gives me problems. I think you will be very happy with your choice!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:46 PM

Have a Bernina 440QE and LOVE IT! I am beginning to learn to FMQ, something I never would have dreamed of attempting without the BSR. Also got the embroidery module a month later (got a great deal as I had just purchased my 440). Didn't think I would do a lot of embroidery, but I am now hooked on that too! Got my 440 used (about 5 years old) with the remainder of the 20 or 25 year warranty.

Congrats on your new baby! You did the right thing by thoroughly trying out each machine. As the others said, you have to get the one that feels right to you.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 AM

This has been all very interesting! Thanks for the future info.
Merry Chirstmas to everyone!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:58 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and do free motion all the time. I have found that I need to set the upper tension at about 3-4 for regular piecing and 5-6 for fmq, but I do not use the single stitch plate or any special bobbin. With any machine you buy, you need to find what works for you and your style of sewing. I say, just buy the one that feels right for you. That's why there is such a variety of brands, styles and prices out there. Good luck and happy quilting!! :lol:
Old 12-22-2009, 06:12 AM

I am a true Viking person. I have a #1 and the Designer 1. The new SE is great, but it is like buying a house.

Have you looked at the Baby Lock that is advertised by Eleanor Burns? I think it is the Elite model. I saw them in Paducah. It is very, very quiet. When 30+ women are sewing and you can still talk normally to the person next to you it was impressive. The gals were just raving about the machines, and a lot of those machines went home to new families.

If you like the one at your LQS you know the people and what type of service they provide.

You will love having a new machine in your house. It is like getting a puppy without the puddles. :thumbup: