Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine table >

sewing machine table

sewing machine table

Old 10-04-2011, 06:02 AM

Depending upon the condition and availability of accessories, it's possible that your "boat anchor" could turn into your favorite machine.

My Kenmores (from the 50's-70's) are heavy, like Cadillacs. No vibration, no walking themselves off of tables - they're smooth as silk and have ten times the power of your Singer Simple. They are amazing free-motion quilting machines, but they do virtually everything and do it well.

Sears sold nothing but quality for a long time - their machines were intended to last a lifetime.

The fact that yours isn't working could be for nothing more serious than the needle put in incorrectly or the bobbin not threaded right or the machine just needing oil. :)

It's possible that for the cost of a complete servicing, you'd have a fabulous, dependable machine that will still be sewing fifty years from now... about 45 years after the Simple is landfill. ;)

Don't give up on the old gals - they were made to last and they do! :)
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Depending upon the condition and availability of accessories, it's possible that your "boat anchor" could turn into your favorite machine.

My Kenmores (from the 50's-70's) are heavy, like Cadillacs. No vibration, no walking themselves off of tables - they're smooth as silk and have ten times the power of your Singer Simple. They are amazing free-motion quilting machines, but they do virtually everything and do it well.

Sears sold nothing but quality for a long time - their machines were intended to last a lifetime.

The fact that yours isn't working could be for nothing more serious than the needle put in incorrectly or the bobbin not threaded right or the machine just needing oil. :)

It's possible that for the cost of a complete servicing, you'd have a fabulous, dependable machine that will still be sewing fifty years from now... about 45 years after the Simple is landfill. ;)

Don't give up on the old gals - they were made to last and they do! :)
:) What she said!!!

Kenmore cabinets tend to fit nothing but Kenmore machines...they tend to be larger than Singers. I'm not sure that I'd take a vintage cabinet and alter it for a modern Singer, but it IS YOUR cabinet and machine, and you should do what makes you happy! :)
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 AM

This cabinet/machine was in a storage shed (with 4 others that I have given away!!) when I bought my house 5 years ago. I don't know how long it had been since it saw light, but it is covered in mildew and the wheel will not even move. Rather than leaving it out for the trash guy, I might donate it, tho. I thought it was useless. I don't have the money to have it serviced, but I might be able to modify the table so that it can be utilized.. like BKrenning's. Thanks so much!
Old 10-05-2011, 02:57 PM
dd

The service man might be able to use it for parts.