Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine table >

sewing machine table

sewing machine table

Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 AM

I have an old sewing machine that doesn't work. It is hinged on a nice table that we have been using as a side table. Of course, it weighs 4 tons! But now I have my new, little sewing machine and I want to use the table for a sewing table. Can the old one be removed and my cheap Singer Simple put in?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:08 AM

My MIL gave me her old sewing cabinet; my new machine did not fit. Therefore my hubby had to make some adjustments...make the opening larger and attach a support to hold the machine. It is great now! So, in answer to your question; it should work, but you may have to make adjustments.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 AM

Depends on the brand of your machine. Each brand has it's own measurements for the hinges, etc. All standard size Singer machines fit into the various cabinets & cases. The smaller Singers all fit the smaller cases. But the Singers do not fit the White, Brother, etc. cases & cabinets. So, it all depends.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Depends on the brand of your machine. Each brand has it's own measurements for the hinges, etc. All standard size Singer machines fit into the various cabinets & cases. The smaller Singers all fit the smaller cases. But the Singers do not fit the White, Brother, etc. cases & cabinets. So, it all depends.
The sewing machine that is in there is a Sears Kenmore and I want to put either a Brother or Singer in.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 AM

Where there's a will--there's a way!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:48 AM
dd

Mine doesn't have the hinges on the back to attach to the cabinet so I just put an old cutting board across the opening and sat my machine on top. Much easier than changing my cabinet. It sit's higher now and sometimes I wish it were in the cabinet but most of the time it doesn't bother me.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 AM

That's what we did with my mom's Singer cabinet. Just added a board to the top and sat the Kenmore on top. She doesn't use it either way so I'm waiting for her to hand them down to me when she's ready to give them up.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM

Thanks everyone! I will clean up the cabinet and move the boat anchor - Uh, I mean, neglected machine - out and see what I can rig up for my new one!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:13 PM

My dh and I also were able to "rig" a table I inherited from my grandma...dh cut some plywood, and attached it into the space where the old machine used to fit, now my new one just sits on that...I guess we could have cut the opening out bigger, so the machine would sit down in it, but I didn't want to cut it at the time...plus I have other machines I can use...
Good luck to you,
Kif
Old 10-03-2011, 01:15 PM

I have the Sauder Sewing Desk that Walmart carried a few years ago. I wanted a flat surface to quilt on so hubby cut a hole in it and put a shelf below just at the correct level to keep the sewing machine bed flush with the top of the desk. I love how it was customized for me but now it is too low so I've got to get hubby to help me put it up on some type of risers. I use it like it is but my back gets very upset with me if I sit & sew for more than an hour or so. Here is a link to the picture of it: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43071-1.htm

I also have one of the cheap taller style sewing cabinets that has a spring loaded platform in it so that the weight of the sewing machine is supposed to make it sink down into the cabinet so that the bed is flush with the top. My old mechanical machine does fit inside and can be squished down so that the bed sits flush but my newer, electronic machines are too wide to fit so I would put a book down into the recess and my machines sit on top.