Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine table?? >

Sewing machine table??

Sewing machine table??

Old 07-22-2014, 07:33 PM

I have the Gidget. I put an old machine on it and it wasn't as big as the standard machines are nowadays so I filled the gaps with pieces of plastic that I cut from a thick plastic place mat. I love this table. It's sturdy and super easy to fold up and store. I put a very large machine on it this winter because I didn't have another table to put the machine on. I couldn't use the inset so had to put it in the "up" position. The table supported the larger, heavier machine just fine. I sit on a kitchen chair with a cushion when I'm sewing at this table and the height works well for me.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01579.jpg   dsc01583.jpg  

Last edited by lalaland; 07-22-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 PM

I love my Gidget tables.....very sturdy....and not expensive.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:25 AM

I prefer a machine that's flush with the table. Much easier to work with the larger surface.
Rodney
Old 07-23-2014, 07:50 AM

Hmmm. Interested in the Gidget's. Can anyone please tell me the difference between the "cheap" one and the model II? Size seems the same. Both highly rated. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Hmmm. Interested in the Gidget's. Can anyone please tell me the difference between the "cheap" one and the model II? Size seems the same. Both highly rated. Thanks!
I'm looking for one, but it looks like giget will take a machine up to 17 1/2" long bt 7 3/8" wide whereas the giget II will take a machine that is bigger. See https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2P4Nbqc6aas
Old 07-23-2014, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie View Post
you could get u a desk chair that moves up and down, then when your back or legs get tired, a dif position always helps and you could continue using your desk
I did this a long time ago. I have large folding tables (the older sturdy type made for offices) and I got a steno chair that I can raise or lower. If I'm sewing for long stretches (which I don't get to do often enough) I will change the height of the chair. It really helps relieve muscle strain.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 AM

Brought a table at K-Mart several years ago --it's also sold off & on at Walmart. Plastic top, folds in half when stored, and is 24 x 42" when set up. It has telescoping legs - will be full height of dining table (28") when fully extended, but drop it down to 23" and it puts my sewing surface at 27 1/2" -- so you can look down on your work easily, and not have to raise your elbows while sewing. Because it has telescoping legs, I have a short stack of plastic shelves beneath it. Did have to find a chair which was low enough to allow me to sit comfortably -- ended up with the padded folding chair from Costco -- was supposed to be temporary until I found something better -- no need!-- works great.
Minimum cost, and functions very well. Actually holds both my Sapphire and my H/V S21 serger at the same time -- put them on place mats and slide the one I'm not using off to the side.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 AM

The sizes of the Gidget tables refer to the opening, not the table itself. Both the Gidget I and II tables are the same size overall. If you have a larger machine, you need the II. For example, my Juki 2010Q will not fit into the Gidget I table that I already own... the machine is too long. So I use the Juki on top of the table and adjust my chair instead. However, my Singer machine fits into the opening on the Gidget I, so I can use that machine dropped into the opening with the surface flush.

I hope all of that made sense!

Oh, and one more thing. The Gidget II table has wheels on one side which supposedly make it easier to move when you close it up. The Gidget I does not have wheels.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:41 AM

lalaland, GREAT idea with the placemat! We seriously have the smartest people on earth here on this board.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kitty10628 View Post
My sewing machine is sitting on a desktop. Its a little high I think.

I am considering getting a gidget I think its called.

How high is your sewing machine? Is your sewing machine flush with the table?

I had a terrible time quilting my last quilt and think it would be so much easier if my sewing machine was level with the table.
My machine sits down in a table (a Sew Perfect table, which I love) and it's so much better, in my opinion. When I sew on my portable machine in a class, it sits up on top of a table and I definitely feel the difference. I go home with a stiff neck that lasts a couple days.

Height of your table is going to depend in part on your body and also on your chair. You want to be able to sit in your chair with your feet flat on the ground and your knees at a 90 degree angle. When sitting up straight and your hands flat on the desk (as if you are sewing) your forearms should be level with your elbows (make sure you're not hunching up your shoulders!). Very much like the ergonomics for typing!

For my height and my chair, this means my desktop needs to be 26" from the floor, and my machine is flush with that surface.