Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine table?? >

Sewing machine table??

Sewing machine table??

Old 07-23-2014, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
http://www.quiltinaday.tv/tv/2300/2301.html
In this video she explains how to set your machine down into a dining table. I did the same with a desk, since that is what fits in my space. I did my design wall like hers as well, love it.
Thanks so much for posting this link- I already have a table but have several friends who want to do this and it is a great step by step and has a lot of other interesting tidbits.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:47 PM

I bought an Arrow Gidget about a month ago. I had been sewing on a small round dining table, and it was really hard to manage. My machine was the wrong height, and all of my projects would fall off the sides of the table, since it is round. I really do like the Gidget table. It was priced in my budget, which was really nice. Totally worth it for me.

Some things to make note of if you are still considering making the purchase: I believe the ad states that "most" domestic machines will fit in the drop. Mine actually didn't. I have a Baby Lock Ellure, and I guess because it also does embroidery, it's not considered the same as "most" domestic machines. My husband got out his jigsaw and made a bigger cut and it works just fine.

I also discovered that when my machine is running rough, the table bounces. I didn't realize that it was because my machine was running rough until I took it apart today and cleaned everything, particularly the bobbin case. Now that it's running smoothly, I can sew at the fastest speed and the table doesn't bounce at all. So now I know, when the table bounces, I need to clean my machine! LOL.

Here's a link to the one I purchased. There are reviews listed there too. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope that helps!!
Ally
Old 07-23-2014, 02:43 PM

I ordered one from Leah Days website along with the acrylic insert.

I have 2 desks with a piece of wood covering them for my work table now. I still want to use the table because it fits my ironing board, cutting mat, radio etc. I plan on putting my sewing machine in the Gidget at the end and I know it will be several inches shorter.... So now I have a new problem!

Im hoping to come up with a solution before I quilt my next quilt top.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:05 PM

I bought the Gidget II last year and the acrylic insert that fits my machine from Connecting Threads. Love the fact that it gives me a flat surface to sew on, so much easier. Its quick and easy to set up and take down as I don't have a place to leave up right now and the wheels make it easy to move around.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:55 PM

Can someone please answer my question? I have a Janome that has a front loading bobbin. Can I use a table that makes the machine flush with the top? (Hope this is clear). How would I change the bobbin? Thanks.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:36 PM

Hi Anita,

From looking at pictures on Connecting Threads, it looks like the lowered part with the machine can raise up flush with the rest of the rest of the table. This would make it easy to change your bobbin.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:10 PM

I just ordered a Gidget table from Leah Day's website and it arrived in less than a week! I haven't set it up yet, but from the comments made above, seems I made a good choice. so thanks QB - I do love this site!!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Can someone please answer my question? I have a Janome that has a front loading bobbin. Can I use a table that makes the machine flush with the top? (Hope this is clear). How would I change the bobbin? Thanks.
There should be space left in front of the machine when dropped down. There are plenty of table options for Janome. I have Janome myself! Tables are custom made for the model of the machine. Ask any machine dealer that sells furniture, they can order the correct table cut-out for your particular machine. You could also just raise up the machine to change the bobbin. No problem.

sandy
Old 07-24-2014, 02:47 AM

Anita, I have the same issue with my Singer. With my machine dropped into the Gidget table, I can get to the front-loading bobbin, but not without a lot of difficulty. There simply isn't a lot of room to get your hand in there underneath to pull it out. You can't just raise the part the machine sits on (as Jennifer mentioned above); the mechanism isn't strong enough (it's not like those air-lifts in the more expensive tables). You have to pull the machine out of the opening and put it aside in order to raise that shelf.

I have my Singer sitting on top of the Gidget table, and don't generally use the shelf now. Primarily because of the bobbin hassle.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:28 AM

I bought the Tasmanian table from Kangaroo in Jan. My diamond can sit flush when quilting or be raised for embroidery. I really like it!!! I can raise or lower the whole table with a crank handle. It is big enough to put a second machine on if I need to. It makes free motion quilting much easier then when the machine was on a flat surface. I can raise the machine with a handle, do not have to remove it. You can have the insert made to fit any machine. It is expensive. It really helps me so I guess the $$$ is worth the convenience.