Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing with a machine in a vehicle >

Sewing with a machine in a vehicle

Sewing with a machine in a vehicle

Old 02-09-2014, 01:22 AM

I think if you are planning on machine sewing in a moving vehicle you should make sure you program your GPS before you leave to highlight any and all medical facilities on your route so you know where to go when you sew over your finger ! Just a thought !
Old 02-09-2014, 04:20 AM

If you are thinking of one of those handheld battery operated ones, they only do a chain stitch. The stitches don't lock like on a regular machine. Slightly off quilter, I laughed when I read your post, but you are so right!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:36 AM

I have done hand applique and hand piecing while a passenger in a moving car. It's slow and not easy; occasionally I stick myself with the needle, but it can be done. You are very adventurous to want to use a machine. I'm wondering where it will sit.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:05 AM

I get car sick so I have never thought about sewing in a car. I thnk I would do some hand work instead of trying to sew ona machine. I may use the machine at night in the hotel.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
There was a lady trucker that used to sew when she was traveling - it was on "Simply Quilts". I think she sewed when her husband drove, but maybe it was just at night in the area behind the cabin. Can't imagine sewing in a car - but then again I get car sick too.
I remember this episode. I can see doing it there or in an RV but NOT in an automobile. I think all the negative have been posted. Try making a small Grandmother's flower garden table runner or doily.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Be sure and get a lap desk, whatever you find to do while riding you'll need one. If it takes more then six hours to drive somewhere, I get on a plane. Many times DH has driven to where we are going and picks me up at the airport. He loves to drive on long car trips and we have a car when we get there.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM

This might be a good time to hand stitch binding on the back of a quilt. Or embroider some quilt labels with simple back stitch or stem stitch, or applique some shapes with a blanket stitch. I think hand work is the way to go unless you want to take a small machine to do piecing in the evening at a motel.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:56 AM

I think I would check out a few quilting books from my Guild and take along a notebook and plan the next few quilts. Or do like Teacup suggests and finish some bindings while in transit.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:00 AM

I have one of those little machines that runs on batteries...but I have hand quilted numerous times while riding in the front seat of our car on long trips. I can talk to my hubby, glance up at scenery, etc. I have always enjoyed doing handwork in the car while traveling. I can't say how much hand embroidery I've done. Never got car sick.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:06 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I agree that you need some kind of desk type thingie to put it on. I think it can be done, but I'd sit in the backseat so my quilting fabric and all my gadgets could be next to me on the other passenger seat. If you could use a pulley type of thing to hold the front of the desk up, like hang something like a bungie cord over the headrest of the front seat to keep it up off your legs and the desk against you have legs that sit on both sides of you so no part of the desk is laying in your lap, otherwise you'll get sore legs holding the machine up. But I think it can be done if you can find the right machine. Sounds like something I'd try and do. Ha ha. But I think you have a good idea if it's on the freeway or a highway that isn't bumpy. Just make sure your hubby drives slow.