Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing with a machine in a vehicle >

Sewing with a machine in a vehicle

Sewing with a machine in a vehicle

Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 PM

I've done a lot of English Paper Piecing or hand-stitching my binding on a quilt while riding in the car, but I can't even imagine trying to sew on a machine in a moving vehicle. I bought a small plastic case from Jo-Ann's to carry everything I need for EPP on the go. I even take it on the plane when we travel.

Where in Northern Illinois are you from? I grew up in DuPage County and moved to Texas 24 years ago when my hubby's job transferred him down here.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 AM

Well, as a professional truck driver for 20 years, & a quilter, I can tell you I did quilt in my rig. I had a dedicated run from Dallas to Central Florida for many years & did carry a smaller sewing machine with me. However, I didn't use it in the cab of the truck. I used it in the driver's lounge or took classes or sewed with the girls at the LQS whenever I had some lengthy down time. Yes, there was an article a few years back about a lady that quilted in her truck..not me...but she did hand quilting & had a frame attached to the roof of her cab & was able to drop it down to quilt on when they were stopped, not driving down the road. When I was at shippers or receivers that took hours to load or unload my trailer, I would work on something quilty. I always kept what I called a "truck project" going. I was able to cut pieces too. I did an entire applique quilt & a GFG while "on the road". The roads in this country are just too dangerous to try and use a machine in a moving vehicle. Here's 2 truck projects I did.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]461516[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]461517[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilts-032.jpg   quilts-094.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:00 AM

Read a good book...........
Old 02-10-2014, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

here's another project you can do in the car... but sew 3 sides of the block at home first
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t240768.html
Old 02-10-2014, 04:58 AM

We travel from central Florida to northern Wisconsin (almost to the Upper Michigan border). I've found making yo-yo's for the next wall hanging from Marcia Layton is a wonderful way to pass the time. Also, when we need to make a quick bathroom stop, I can easily put it down.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:59 AM

Well if you have the room to set up a machine I say go for it.
You can buy a dc to ac converter for about 35-50 dollars that plugs into the cigarett lighter. My son brought a small tv with a plug for a road trip. I don't see why it wouldn't power a simple machine.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ac%2Caps%2C249
Old 02-10-2014, 05:16 AM

Let us know how this works out for you. I do hand work while he drives. Two reasons I can not stand the way he drives and I am not waisting my time. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:18 AM

I have done lots of sewing while going down the road but only hand work I use to prepare applique on freezer paper instead of needle turn and this was very easy in the car also some embroidery we also went on a wsagon trin ride kind of bumpy but I made yoyos can be done and is fun but I would forget the sewing machine
Old 02-10-2014, 06:18 AM

One of the ladies in our sewing ministry rides with her husband especially when it is cross country trips. Her machine is plugged in the cigarette lighter. She has a table set up in back. She usually has 9 or 10 lap robe size quilts pieced when she comes back. Her seams match and points are not cut off. Most of the time her tops are some variation of Jacobs Ladder. She gets more tops done than anyone else in our group. We are working now on quilts for our local Veteran's Center to be delivered in July. Probably half of the quilts will be from Sandy.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I think I would check out a few quilting books from my Guild and take along a notebook and plan the next few quilts. Or do like Teacup suggests and finish some bindings while in transit.
I agree! or get a EQ program for a laptop and design your next quilt project.