Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing with a machine in a vehicle >

Sewing with a machine in a vehicle

Sewing with a machine in a vehicle

Old 02-10-2014, 02:40 PM

I have actually been watching for a smaller hand crank machine for sewing while in our RV. Although we have not traveled any great distances for awhile I thought it would be nice to have! Let us know how what you decide! And wishing you safe travels!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:53 PM

If you knit, I can share a pattern for a dishcloth/washcloth. I knit them al the time on car rides and on planes. My guild uses them to fill our penny sale baskets at our quilt shows.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy60545 View Post
Well, as a professional truck driver for 20 years, & a quilter, I can tell you I did quilt in my rig. I had a dedicated run from Dallas to Central Florida for many years & did carry a smaller sewing machine with me. However, I didn't use it in the cab of the truck. I used it in the driver's lounge or took classes or sewed with the girls at the LQS whenever I had some lengthy down time. Yes, there was an article a few years back about a lady that quilted in her truck..not me...but she did hand quilting & had a frame attached to the roof of her cab & was able to drop it down to quilt on when they were stopped, not driving down the road. When I was at shippers or receivers that took hours to load or unload my trailer, I would work on something quilty. I always kept what I called a "truck project" going. I was able to cut pieces too. I did an entire applique quilt & a GFG while "on the road". The roads in this country are just too dangerous to try and use a machine in a moving vehicle. Here's 2 truck projects I did.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]461516[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]461517[/ATTACH]
Wow, those are lovely. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM

This has been posted on QB before, but might be a clue that it's not totally impossible - someone who sews with a hand crank while driving a tractor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zNmztSvG-Lw

I don't think I'd enjoy trying to sew in such a cramped situation, and you can't iron (at least I hope not!). Also, that tractor is on a predictably flat, level surface and not going as fast as a car on a road. It just doesn't seem as if you'd be happy with the results of sewing in transit. As others have mentioned, there are all sorts of quilt related things that are safer and less difficult.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:30 PM

I am overwhelmed with the great suggestions!
Husband says no to a sewing machine in the car even if it is battery powered :-( I have a hand chain stitch one (reminds me of a stapler) that would work for Barbie clothes or small projects. I just have to figure out how to end without the stitches pulling out of the chain.
I have made dishcloths and afghans and even quilted hotpads in a car. I have not spent 2 days traveling though.
I tried out the White brand sewing mini in the store since the box was open. The bobbin thread did not pick up, nor did the fabric move with the feed dogs. I was curious about the Janome on sale at Hancocks though.
Thank you all for your ideas -- keep them coming. I have to keep myself occupied for a long long time.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:30 PM

I get carsick as well so the image alone makes me queasy. I just finished 2 Amy butler bloom quilts. Each has 300 yoyo flowers in different sizes. I can tell you I made yo yos EVERYWHERE. I cut out the circles in advance and took them and a small ziplock supply bag with me:thread, needles, thread clippers. I finished several hundred on a weekend plane ride. Used half my lunch hour for yo yos. There are all kinds of yo yo animals (indygo junction), pillows quilts scarves. It's better than needle work because there's no pattern to reAd or guide to follow. I knocked out hundreds in a couple of months.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
Guess I had never thought about it, but I get car sick pretty easy can not even read much less sew.
I get motion sickness too so just the thought of it makes me queasy. Good luck with that.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:57 PM

How many days will you be in the car?
Cindy
Old 02-10-2014, 06:58 PM

If you're afraid of being bored why don't you listen to some audio books?
I love to listen to them.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
Could you call and ask her what type of machine she uses? I'd love to know the answer.
I'd like to know what kind of car has room for a table in the back seat..... not my sedan.