Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing machines

Blog Entries
    should I buy my nieces just the basic lightweight sewing machines to keep it simple or do give them old ones that i have? the old ones may just might be not good .... ??

Blog Entries
    I was going to get the same model for both, like a singer or brother.......

Quote Originally Posted by girliegirl
    should I buy my nieces just the basic lightweight sewing machines to keep it simple or do give them old ones that i have? the old ones may just might be not good .... ??

Well I wouldn't give them one of the old ones that isn't good. that would cause more frustration than pleasure with sewing. You can find some simple ones for cheap.

Hmmmm. I have purchase in the past couple months, 7 old singers.
    Love them, they go the right speed, slow! and they are easy to fix. The parts are easy to find.
    We are going to fix them up and sell them. 5 treadles and 2 electric ones

I'm keeping one treadle and maybe both electric. they are mostly red eye's.

Enjoy.

Blog Entries
    thanks!! u read my mind! overstock.com has ones and i saw a singer at Kmart for 69 $ A great xmas gift !! so they will use my janomes and xmas will be their own if they keep the interest !! and sewing baskets with notions for now!

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    Well I wouldn't give them one of the old ones that isn't good. that would cause more frustration than pleasure with sewing. You can find some simple ones for cheap.

I don't know about the basic machines, depends a lot on what they may be doing. I would get them new machines, they may be more eager to learn with new machines.
    I heard the Brothers are better than the new Singers.

I would definitely buy them older machines. On Craigslist, you should be able to get a 50's era machine in good condition in the $30-$45 range. They last forever, have no plastic parts and are forgiving of beginners. I bought my 15-91 in a cabinet for $50. It will sew through anything you can fit under the presser foot. I also have a 1959 Singer 301 that is fabulous. I had a 1963 Atlas that was PINK. and also sewed very well.

Make sure there's interest there, before you put in the $$!!!
    Or you may be the disappointed one.

Not knowing the machines ... the $69 are they "good"? Sometimes low cost is great, sometimes a disaster!!

What about getting one now, and you sewing on it some to become familiar and know it's well worth it and will do what they need it to do. Then clean it up for Christmas, so it's just like new .... and purchase the 2nd one. (they'll never know the difference if you zip it ...... and you can give it to them knowing they are good to go, and you know the quirks about the machine!)

What a sweet Auntie you are! :)

Blog Entries
    well i do have plenty !! total of 19 sewing machines!! 2 of which are the toy ones!! hmmmmmmmmmmmmm they are like little stray puppies to me! lol

Brother CS6000i is a good cheap machine...do a search here for recommendations or read other reviews online. It's lightweight, not hard to use and has lots of features that would grow with the girls. You can check Walmart, Amazon, Overstock.com or other places to compare prices.

I would avoid the cheap new Singers, they are just frustrating. I'd pick a Brother before I did a Singer.

Don't overlook Sears Kenmore, which posters say are made by Janome and have many of the same features in a more affordable machine.

I used two older Kenmore mechanicals for my niece and great-niece. Took both in for cleaning and tune ups so they would rune at their peak. If they showed an interest in sewing they got to take the machine home. One did, one didn't.

Oh and the one who did keep up with the sewing - I let her use my newer Viking one night and she said that it sewed so much better than hers! (I told her to save her money)

Blog Entries
    I found a free Singer 533 from 1978 for my granddaughter. She helped clean it and feels very possessive of it. She has made a quilt top here on it, but her dad says she can't take it home until it jams and she learns how to unjam it. It hasn't jammed yet. She needs to come back and do the batting, quilting and binding and then we'll see. She also has a pillow to make. When these are finished, we'll decide where the machine is going to hang out. She did offer me $39 for my Elna. No sale!

I think buying a machine and using it for a project is a good idea. Looks aren't everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle
    I don't know about the basic machines, depends a lot on what they may be doing. I would get them new machines, they may be more eager to learn with new machines.
    I heard the Brothers are better than the new Singers.
    I love my Brother cs6000i - I've had it for three years and it is great. Lightweight, lots of stitches, a walking foot and FM quilting foot. I've "grown up" now and just purchased a Janome Horizon but will keep the Brother for classes.

Blog Entries
    Brothers are good dependable, inexpensive machines. I have had 2, the first one I passed on to DH when he started quilting. I still have my newer one, though I am not using it right now. I prefer my vintage Singer 301. But for kids, I think the newer basic machines are fine.

Cheap brothers all the way, got mine off overstock.com just keep the packaging if you order from them, but they have excellent customer service

If I might recommend something other than a cheap Singer? Anything would be better.
    I am looking at the Hello Kitty by Janome for my 8yr DGD.

I would get out the old machines and test their interest! OMG, I see a lovely machine on craigslist today for $10, if I didn't have plenty I would go buy it myself! The old ones are tanks and reliable!

I would get out the old machines and test their interest! OMG, I see a lovely machine on craigslist today for $10, if I didn't have plenty I would go buy it myself! The old ones are tanks and reliable!

sorry for the double post, internet boggie tonite!

Blog Entries
    The good old Singer 404 was used in home ec class back in the day when girls actually learned to sew well. The Singer 404 is cheap because it hasn't caught on like the FW or the 301. It is slightly heavier. I got one for my DGD's 7th birthday coming up the 3rd. The 404 has a drop in bobbin. It threads front to back. It is well lit. There are no bells and whistles to distract. It isn't terribly heavy. It has a slant needle so you can see what you are doing without getting sore neck and shoulders.

If you have a Hancock's close to you, they run a great sale on Janomes less expensive models pretty often too. I love my Janome.

Blog Entries
    if you learn on a 301A slant needle Singer you will be spoiled forever by the perfect stitch. My DD finally found one that is actually a year older than mine and in perfect condition. I really recommed one of these 'old' machines to learn the basics, and to have when your fancy stitchy ones are being cranky

I'd buy an older one---avoid plastic at all costs---and have it professionally cleaned and oiled so it's like new. I use a 1941 Singer daily and not the several plastic ones that I own since they just aren't as reliable.

I bought my DGD a Brother fron WalMart, on sale for maybe $70.00. She is doing fine with it. The only problem I can see is the foot pedel isn't as sensitive as on the better (that translated to more expensive) machines. By that I mean it doesn't always start when stepped on, so she presses harder and then it races. I think she just has to get used to it. Does anyone else notice this with their machines?
    Sue

I bought my DGD a Brother fron WalMart, on sale for maybe $70.00. She is doing fine with it. The only problem I can see is the foot pedel isn't as sensitive as on the better (that translated to more expensive) machines. By that I mean it doesn't always start when stepped on, so she presses harder and then it races. I think she just has to get used to it. Does anyone else notice this with their machines? Another thing, I was afraid of a used machine, sometimes there is something major wrong with them--that is why they are for sale.
    Sue

Give them your old Janomes or buy them vintag eones on Criagas List. It might be very furstrating working on the cheap plastic ones. Even some of the old singers from the 70ies might be nice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast