Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machines >

Sewing machines

Sewing machines

Old 08-28-2011, 06:57 AM

In the early 90's my mom-in-law bought me a kenmore (~$150). Still works like a charm. Simple, but does what I ask of it.

About the same time I gave my sister (a non-sewing woman) a stocked sewing box. As a mom, there are staples that will be necessary. While she thought the gift (let's face it) stupid, she's used it many times over.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:00 AM

I would have loved being given a machine that my GM had used.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

I lent my DIL an old beat up but serviceable Singer 503 to see if she would sew at all - she LOVES the ugly thing - I told her she could trade up if she wanted - she won't part with it - her mom said she wouldn't sew before - says it works great - DIL named her machine Margaret after her grandma. She said Margaret may be old but she still gets where she is going. Margaret was quite stylish in her day too. Oh and she said GM & Margaret both have parts missing and damaged. DIL also is happy to go green by using an old beat up but very serviceable machine.

You might find something nicer that that on CL. The Singer 500 seems to be a fav of college design students. You can put new foot controls on the old machines.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:39 AM

I vote that you get them new ones and from someplace local to you. Overstock and Ebay are great for bargain hunters but very frustrating when something goes wrong with the machine and it is supposed to be under warranty. What will they do then? Pack it up and ship it off at their own expense only to find out that they were using the wrong needle or thread for the project? I am a firm believer in supporting the local economy whenever possible and getting support on purchases such as these.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:05 PM

I have seen the Janome Gold sewing machines. Light enough to take to classes or easy to put away and take out again. I have two friends that got them as an extra with purchase of top of the line machines.

They didn't need or want them and as soon as they were
mentioned for sale, gals in our group bought them for their granchilders. One grandaughter didn't get interested so GM brings to quilting every week. They also have a clear extension table with or can be bought. This gal is a serious sewer and sews everyday on this machine. After seeing this I would consider this as I have seen on Ebay and am thinking of buying one for myself. Resale is terrific.

Brothers are good machines but wouldn't buy a new Singer on a bet. Thing is where can you have you machine serviced? Important issue. Good Luck
Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 PM

Wakmart has some great prices on Singer and Brother machines. Most have several built in stitches and a couple are designed for quilting.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by girliegirl
thanks!! u read my mind! overstock.com has ones and i saw a singer at Kmart for 69 $ A great xmas gift !! so they will use my janomes and xmas will be their own if they keep the interest !! and sewing baskets with notions for now!

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
Well I wouldn't give them one of the old ones that isn't good. that would cause more frustration than pleasure with sewing. You can find some simple ones for cheap.
I bought a new singer a few years back. Don't remember the model but it cost about $170 at Wally World. IT FLEW APART internally in less than 3 months. Walmart did replace but taht is beside the point.

MY CHOICE for the girls would be to keep an eye out for an older machine that you can pick up for around 25-50 dollars.