Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machines >

Sewing machines

Sewing machines

Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 AM

Older machines are the best! I'd look for a 1200 series Pfaff.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:31 AM

How old are your Nieces? If they are younger they are not going to be able to lift an older vintage machine unless it is a Featherweight or a Singer Slant series aluminum machine. Most of those old cabinet queens and portables are cast iron. I love my old machines but I started out on a Brother cs6000. I would get them both a new, electronic machine. Either a Brother, Kenmore or Janome so they can learn to sew on machines like they see on that runway show on TV.

When they come to visit, you can let them sew on a vintage machine and show them the differences in stitch quality, versatility with attachments and how quiet they are.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:44 AM

they need a good reliable sewing machine that sews good or they will not want to sew much.
I found a good Kenmore, newer model with manual and different feet at a Pawn shop and paid $16.00 for it and it is a real good machine, sews great. Good luck
Old 08-27-2011, 08:53 AM

my granddaughters sew with a Janome Jem Gold 2 and also a 1931 Singer 99k hand crank(both learned on it), the older machines are great. Some of the 80s model Singers are just horrid. The Singers from the 1940s-60s are great machines.
The new Singers....not so much.(I used to sell new Singers)
Old 08-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary
I used two older Kenmore mechanicals for my niece and great-niece. Took both in for cleaning and tune ups so they would rune at their peak. If they showed an interest in sewing they got to take the machine home. One did, one didn't.

Oh and the one who did keep up with the sewing - I let her use my newer Viking one night and she said that it sewed so much better than hers! (I told her to save her money)
My older granddaughter likes my Pfaff 2040, she says it purrs. lol She likes the Janome Jem too.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
I bought my DGD a Brother fron WalMart, on sale for maybe $70.00. She is doing fine with it. The only problem I can see is the foot pedel isn't as sensitive as on the better (that translated to more expensive) machines. By that I mean it doesn't always start when stepped on, so she presses harder and then it races. I think she just has to get used to it. Does anyone else notice this with their machines? Another thing, I was afraid of a used machine, sometimes there is something major wrong with them--that is why they are for sale.
Sue
Most of the machines that are used are great machines, the former owner wanted a newer machine. I have bought only 2 brand new machines, all the rest were used.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by katcox
I bought my daughter a 100. singer at Walmart a couple years ago. I made about 4 lines of stitches and put it back in the box. Told her to try and sell it for 50. if she could.
piece of junk after using Janome. It made me very frustrated. wouldn't run unless you turned the wheel. o' maybe that's for safety! But I think I would rather of found a gem and gave to her. maybe a little more money but not so frustrating.
Its so sad that the Singer name doesn't stand for quality anymore. :cry: Back in the day Singer was among the best machines made. There's nothing more frustrating than a machine that doesn't sew well and/or poor quality. I taught my daughter to sew with my Bernina 1031, she's 24 and owns two Bernina 930s, she loves to sew and has told me that she was happy that she learned to sew with a good quality machine. She has friends that are trying to use the low quality new machines, they're so frustrated. She has steered them toward older mechanical machines. She's learned that from using my collection of older machines.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 AM

How old are the girls?

the green hello kitty by Janome accorging to people on the board are good ones. Important note this is a sewing machine and not a toy.

The price varies.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 AM

Allbrands has this Janome for $99 and free shipping
Janome Harmony 1017S Jem Lite 3/4, 11Lb, 10/17 Stitches, Buttonhole, Sew & Quilt Machine, Metal Bobbin Case (HF106 609 639 1117 11706 Hello Kitty 3128

D in TX
Old 08-27-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by girliegirl
thanks!! u read my mind! overstock.com has ones and i saw a singer at Kmart for 69 $ A great xmas gift !! so they will use my janomes and xmas will be their own if they keep the interest !! and sewing baskets with notions for now!

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
Well I wouldn't give them one of the old ones that isn't good. that would cause more frustration than pleasure with sewing. You can find some simple ones for cheap.
bought 2 Brother sewing machines on Overstock last holidays for daughter-in-law and daughter: both love them and they have worked great-