Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing over pins! >

Sewing over pins!

Sewing over pins!

Old 04-07-2013, 04:23 AM

I try not to sew over pins, but sometimes I need the pin to hold "whatever" in an exact place. I slow way down when I am going over a pin. If you break a pin or a needle, it can leave a hole in your seam, ask me how I know. I have sewing machines that are expensive and some antique ones, including a FW. None of them like to go over pins. As far as not pinning in the seam line, you risk the chance of not getting your seam edges straight. If you are not pinning in the seam line there really is no point in pinning the seam. Just my thoughts and this is the way I teach.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cherylsea View Post
I just watched that episode! She talked about placing the pins back enough to miss the 1/4" seam allowance .... and then sewed over the pins!! If you have a computerized machine and must sew over pins it is better to manually walk the machine over the pin. I do like her class and think she is a good teacher but that part was a bit perplexing.
I saw this episode as well and was surprised....but sometimes I mistakenly go over pins, and I don't think that is the problem, but the problem would be if you hit the pin, as others said, shards flying and messing the timing in your machine
Old 04-07-2013, 04:47 AM

I used to sew over pins till I drove one into the bobbin case area, what a mess that was! I pull my pins now as I approach them.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I used to sew over pins, but decided that the only thing I was accomplishing was having to buy new needles and pins, so I take them out before I get to them.
I agree with this. I do the same thing.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
You can certainly sew over pins - however if you have a computerized machine and you hit one of those pins you have a good chance of throwing the timing out on your machine. When this happens you have no choice but to visit Mr. Sewing Machine Repair Man. Guess How I Know This! Yep I have done it. I am lucky and know someone who repairs machines and he was able to get me going the next day - otherwise it would have been a 2 week wait at the shop. Of course I was working on a deadline. Now I avoid them, that isn't to say that every once in a while I miss pulling out a pin, but when I realize it I have to say a little prayer of thanks that my needle didn't hit it. You can even hit a pin sometimes and not throw your machine out but that is just luck.
May I ask you a stupid question? How did you know it threw the timing off? I've run over pins by accident and my machine made a bad noise, and I worried at the time if I did something to the machine. How would I know if the timing was off? It seems to run OK.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:45 PM

On that BOM, though she did sew over pins - one thing she did that I had never thought of before was HOW she pinned. Instead of having the pins sticking out over the edge, she had the pins coming from the inside out - meaning she started pinning maybe 1 1/2 - 2 inches on the inside with the "point" aimed at the to be seam of the fabric. Don't know how to explain it but it was quite neat. She said it gave her more stability in keeping the fabrics from shifting.

Marysewfun
Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM

Back in the day when we were sewing double knits, and there were no electronic machines, we were told it was OK to sew over the pins, as the knit material had enough stretch to move out of the way.

But I'm told with today's modern electronic machines, you can throw the timing out if your needle hits the pin. Can be a costly repair, so I pull 'em out.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM

I do not sew over pins intentionally. I did once and a piece of the needle hit my glasses. I know it can knock the machine out of time if you are using a new machine. I just think it is safer to remove pins. I just wouldn't do it on purpose for any reason.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 PM

I was told that with the needle at 90* to the sewing line you would slide over the pin. I never understood this comment and as I had been taught on a treadle machine by relatives to remove pins. Hey were too expensive to break or put a blur on or do the same to needle . money soon stopped me sewing over.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 AM

I never sew over pins. That could knock out your calibration and throw your sewing off. I think that years ago we did not know better but would never intentionally sew over them. I love my machine too much to abuse it!